Author Topic: Koi in the skimmer  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Stevo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Koi in the skimmer
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »
Dont understand my folks pond has been running for 4 years now and has never had a koi in the skimmer, this winter so far 1 yearling and a 22" at the same time the yearling died and now another 23" was in there today...glad we checked. The pond is 4000 gal 3' 1/2 ft deep water falls still running with a good layer of ice over the pond. Any Ideas????   

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Koi in the skimmer
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »
I had the same problem with an Oase movable filter.  Lost a few favorite youngin's so I shut it down.  I can't think of anything to prevent suicide of my feeshies.

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »
Howdy... 

Could something be scaring them in there?  Or are they maybe "mating" and the females are trying to get away from those "pesky" males?  Seems kinda early for that but you never know what the cycle for that kind of thing is with all the different parameters ponds can produce...

Dave

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 06:03:37 PM »
I was going to suggest mating / spawning, too, since that's when they are the jumpingest. 

When the water is cold, I can't imagine why they would be jumping.  In fact, I am so confident that mine won't jump that I went and uncovered the pond, so I can see it in all it's wire mesh-free beauty, for a change.

Could a bird (heron) be catching the fish, sluggish from cold, becoming frightened, and dropping them into the skimmer?

Offline Loritx

• Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:35:55 AM »
My fish can freely swim in and out of the skimmer basket. They do hide there when spooked by Herons or grandkids playing in the water.
Lori TX

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 12:17:11 PM »
this is something you can diy or buy

http://www.absolute-koi.com/prod1300.html

Some use old barb-que grills in front of the skimmer.  I use egg crate lighting (plastic) but my pond stays netted.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 04:01:11 PM »
I put up a guard on mine too..that was one of my biggest fears...I didn't want to take any chances...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:24:27 AM »
I came home to one of my big girls in the skimmer, pretty scuffed up.  Knew it had to be a way to stop it.  My smaller egg crate keeps the frogs from drowning.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 04:49:31 PM »
My skimmer came with a net that safly catches anything that goes in includding my koi. I have found baby ones in there un harmed as the netting is very small mesh. But then there is a removeable back board that hold a filter matt to  to help keep gunk from getting to the pump.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"