Author Topic: Feeding fish for the first time, coming out of winter  (Read 871 times)

Offline Windwalker7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/08/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Feeding fish for the first time, coming out of winter
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:23:54 AM »
I wondered if anyone had any tips. My water temp is 60* today and finally the 5 koi are swimming around without hiding. They look hungry!

I have heard that it is a good idea to soak some of their food in yogurt for their first feeding, to get their digestive system going. Anyone do that?

I may hold off on feeding them for a little while yet. We are having a warm spell here in PA with temps in the upper 70's. I'm sure it will cool back down though.

Offline Michiponder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Feeding fish for the first time, coming out of winter
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:54:06 AM »
It's Springtime!  Finally it is warming up.  Most people start feeding sparingly with good quality feed when the water temp hits 50F and remains close to that or above.  I slowly begin a little before that.  I do not use high protien feeds until it is much warmer.  When the water is cool only feed as much as they will consume quikly because they are still moving quite slowly due to the low temps.  A small amount ounce a day is a good way to start.  Some people feed cherios to start because they go through the fishes system easily.

Offline andi_mn

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
fed my fish for the first time today. they are still oh so slow (the water is Cold!) but did start eating. i use a spring/fall food and will only feed once  a day for awhile.  a great blue heron took my biggest and prettiest last spring, hoping he doesnt remember where we are.     looking forward to a spring and summer of 'pond days'
andi

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:20:10 AM »
Start slowly, for the health of your fish and the water.  I'm still using low protein pellets, for those who can't wait to feed the piggies, until it warms up.  I've also been throwing bug eaten strawberries from the garden into to the ponds with much fanfare from the koi and fancies.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"