Author Topic: Winter Pitcher  (Read 4549 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Winter Pitcher
« on: January 23, 2009, 04:19:48 PM »
I found this poor dried out potted Sarracenia pitcher plant at a local nursery for the clearance price of $1.99 last summer.  It's looking a lot better now.  I almost forgot about it until I did a check of the pond area before our week of rain.

I have it sitting in about an inch of water.  I'm hoping to get it into a floating planter this spring.  I like the look other ponders have chosen to display this plant.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Pitcher
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 04:15:15 PM »
Awesome plant, I have always wanted to try one of those.  This year I'm toying with the idea of getting a few more tropical marginal plants.....only problem is then I have to take them in and try to keep them alive for the long WI winter.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 05:12:48 PM »
1.99! Lucky you!  Yours looks nice and healthy.  I also have a few pitcher plants, mine are planted in an in-ground peat bog though.  I can't remember which ponder it is that has them in a floating planter in their pond but they sure looked great.  John Johns sent me a nice pitcher plant (S. purpurea) early last spring which did very well through the growing season, covered in a nice deep layer of snow now.  It will be a few months before I know how it wintered here.  I'm pretty sure it will be fine.  Looking forward to seeing yours floating about in your pond.

emm

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 07:42:15 PM »
Thanks Marla and Emm.  I also found a taller and thinner pitcher plant at another nursery destined for the dirt pile and it;s also growing very well.  I'm going to have to look into the proper care and fertilizing because I want them to look healthier and bigger!

Offline OldMarine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • OldMarine
  • With us since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 04:12:11 PM »
EMM,

I was at a nursery here in Tacoma last month called 'Jungle Fever Tropicals', and they had several Purple Pitcher (saccacenia purpurea) setting out in the open of their court yard display of plants, and the Purple Pitcher plants were doing quite well. I had no idea they could with stand such harsh weather conditions.

I too, plan on having a floating basket in my pond with my carnivorous plants in it.

Happy ponding,

Rich  o(
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8
My pics at; http://picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 06:34:26 PM »
Rich, Sarracenia purpurea is native here and can be found quite a bit north of us where the winters are much longer and considerably harsher.  Unfortunately the one I received from John Johns did not survive last winter.  While S. purpurea is native to my area the plant that John sent me was grown in North Carolina and likely came from stock that was genetically adapted to warmer conditions.  I was very hopeful for it's success because it put on so much growth through the summer.  I protected it with a deep layer of leaves through the winter but it wasn't enough for it.  The same species adapted to our climate has thrived in the same artificial bog.

I have seen our native pitcher plants growing where they seemed to be floating on a thick mat of plants and roots at the edge of boggy ponds.  Before I built my peat bog I kept my one and only pitcher plant growing in a small rock pool filled with peat and gravel at the edge of my pond.  Only the roots where in water and it grew well for 2 years in that location.

This is a photo of S. purpurea taken at Hawaiian Botanicals in Richmond, British Columbia.  I visited there a couple of years ago.  They are growing in a large flower pot outside.  My bog in no way resembles this yet.  Don't seem to have any pictures of my pitcher plants on this computer.

emm
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:48:46 PM by emm »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 12:03:43 PM »
The size of those pitchers!!!  Would be so happy to see a quarter of that size happening in my "bog."   I just found some Canadian sphagnum moss at the local HD!  I'm hoping to make that floating basket for my pitchers!

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 09:00:34 PM »
I now have a Purple Pitcher (sarracenia purpurea), and a Red Pitcher (sarracenia rubra) potted in a intended floating basket that is still in the house near a window. This basket fits into a green stirofoam ring that I will float in my pond when the weather is warm enough to take outside and not create any shock for the plants.

Happy ponding,

Rich  ?)(?
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 02:57:54 PM »
Pictures!  O0

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 02:34:42 PM »
My Sarracenica's are now floating in my pond, and seem to be doing well. Still messing around with trying to post pictures.

Happy ponding,

Rich
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8

Offline emory11medico

• Members
  • With us since: 21/02/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 04:42:57 AM »
Those pictures are really good. Very rarely I get to see such beautiful Winter Pircher.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"