Author Topic: Didn't someone make a floating planter?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Didn't someone make a floating planter?
« on: July 18, 2011, 04:21:58 AM »
Anyone know what kind of foam is used in those floating planters? I made one with a planting basket and foam wreath. Works o.k, but wreath is not really the right size. it's a bit top heavy.
Kathy

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't someone make a floating planter?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:30:05 AM »
Anyone know what kind of foam is used in those floating planters? I made one with a planting basket and foam wreath. Works o.k, but wreath is not really the right size. it's a bit top heavy.

What you could do is, go to the home center, and get the pipe foam insulation, (dark gray) and bend it to the shape you want, and secure it with cable ties poked through the ends. (or duct tape it together- it will hold for a while) Put a  plastic pot in the center of it and make the foam snug around the pot. I'm almost certain that foam floats....think it's closed cell. It's in the plumbing dept. and is used for anti-condensation applications. You can even use that to put under something else that will float, like for an island...

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:09:56 PM »
I used the foam pipe insulator and used plastic coated wire ties around a colander to float plants.  Keeps hungry koi from eating water hydrangea plants plus other odds and ends I want to keep away from nibblers.  Also found out that it makes a great nursery for fries that make their way into safe haven.

If using dirt in container, line basket with old pantyhose (stretch around outside of colander and tuck into the foam insulator) or old tees.

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 06:13:24 PM »
I make them but the frog is not for sale.  {:-P;; Questions ask away!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:34:04 PM by frogman3 »

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:37:52 AM »
Frogman, that looks great! Did you use the foam pipe insulation too?
Big koi had mine almost tipped over this morning. She really has some pull on those plants! Not one clover left on one plant and none around the edges of the other.  {nono} She has never been destructive like she is this year.
Kathy

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 01:57:46 PM »
Mine is made with a piece of pond EPDM liner, holes cut out for plastic square pots, great stuff foam as a base and sheet moss attached to surface. Fish can not get to most of the roots since the pots are foamed in. I drop the round plastic pots containing plants inside the foamed in pots for ease of use. Very stable built this way, wind has not flipped one in three years. Teathered by a anchor point, also foamed in, to a weight so it can float around some but not enough to be driven into the lilies by strong winds.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"