Author Topic: best place to buy / get water plants?  (Read 973 times)

Offline zoeybean

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
best place to buy / get water plants?
« on: May 10, 2011, 06:43:49 PM »
I live in SW IA and can't seem to find any water hyacinths unless I drive 60 miles 120 mile round trip... Has anyone ever ordered plants or got them in the mail? I have a pond that is approx. 8'x15'x3' - 2 yrs ago my daughter put 2 goldfish in it well now there is probably 30 fish in there... last summer at a yard sale a lady gave me some hyacinths and i just loved them... I dont want to pay an arm and a leg for a plant. if I bring home one plant will all those fish destroy it? I could sure use some advice. thanks

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: best place to buy / get water plants?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »
Check the trader section. I saw some for sale here. And to stop your fish from eating its roots I've seen other members here describe a hula hoop and netting type of floating basket that keeps the water hyacinth restrained in one part of your pond and the fish from getting at its roots. If you do a thread search you might be able to find that thread.  :)

Oh yeah, and the members here on the forum buy, trade, and receive plants in the mail all the time.  O0
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 07:46:13 AM »
I've gotten them here http://www.pondibilities.com/ in Malvern; not sure how far you are from there?

Offline trish

• Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:48:50 AM »
Comets and goldfish generally don't eat the roots of WH like koi do.  My comets haven't anyhow - they prefer to lay their eggs in it.  One WH will multiply rapidly once the weather starts getting warmer.

Offline digger-z8

• Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 01:54:16 PM »
Hello, zoeybean. I asked the same question once upon a time. No pond suppliers in my neck 'o the woods. :( And mind you, I only order online out of sheer desperation and after much research. Anyhoo, I was referred to dragonflyaquatics.com. I've ordered from them the past couples years and never been disappointed. In fact, received my latest order just yesterday & the plants arrived in excellent condition as usual.  My order shipped the day I placed it (early a.m.) and arrived 2 days later.

Also, after I placed my order, I realized I had forgotten one small item. I e-mailed to ask if it could be added to my order. Got a response the same day. Impressive in and of itself.  It wasn't possible to add to my order BUT they shipped the item anyway, at no additional charge, as a courtesy. Doesn't get any better than that!

Note to Jerry: I'm a consummate lurker & unfortunately not up to date on your guidelines.  :redface:  If I'm out of line in sharing a website, just hit *delete* & no explanation necessary. Gorgeous pond pics, btw! :2thumbs:

bless ya beyond measure,
~digger

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"