Author Topic: Met an interesting man today.  (Read 765 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Met an interesting man today.
« on: April 22, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »
I heard about this place selling water plants near where we(my wife and I) live and we were going out in that area today so we went looking for it. We found it. A small, but not to small, sign hanging up in front of this home. We pulled into what looked like a little jungle. Sort of an oasis from city life. We looked around with no one to be found until I heard my wife talking to someone. He goes by Mr. Clayton and he is eighty years old and retired from the florist business. Boy,did he have a story to tell. If it is true or not, I'll never know. We took a walk through his garden, past the goats, and down to his pond. It was a small, spring fed, natural pond which had yellow flag irises growing almost all the way around it with another blue flower, not an iris, mixed in. At one end, where he had a sort of greenhouse covering it, there was green taro mixed in with the irises. There were no water lilies in this pond but he had a few in another smaller pond. The only fish looked like sunfish, bream as we call them here. I invited him to the June meet and gave him my card. I will go back and spend more time with him since he was expecting a customer and had to finish his lunch. I will also see if he will allow me to take some photos since I didn't have the camera with me today. He didn't have many different varieties but he had a lot of what he had, including horsetail rush that was growing all over the place and most of that was 4' tall.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Met an interesting man today.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 06:51:55 PM »
You do not want that horsetail rush. Despicable stuff!!!  I can't get rid of it here.
Sounds like interesting man.

Marie

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Re: Met an interesting man today.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:29:27 PM »
I would love to see pics too. I have an 85 yr old freind who is a master gardener and has ponds too. He is amazing.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"