Author Topic: Spawning  (Read 1380 times)

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Spawning
« on: May 21, 2011, 06:50:45 PM »
Question is. Does spawing by large fish affect/effect the pond water? I have 2 at about 24 inches. 2 at 18 and six at 15. Pond can handle this load but wondering if during spawning you /or I should increase my flow/

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Spawning
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »
your gonna need to do some massive water changes and cleaning of the pond....and really watch those parimeters....It takes me about a week and a lots of 25% water changes during that week to control mine....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Tadpole

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/01/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 08:25:54 AM »
your gonna need to do some massive water changes and cleaning of the pond....and really watch those parimeters....It takes me about a week and a lots of 25% water changes during that week to control mine....
Lawanna

Interesting!

Never had a problem with water quality parameters due to spawning in my pond or any pond that I maintain. Of course the water becomes turbid and has 'that' definite odor, but these dissipate withing 24 - 48 hours after spawn with no lasting effects. This is, after all, a perfectly natural process and not a form of pollution.

Offline reddad35

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Thanks Lawanna. I do not have a skimmer. I am sure it would help a lot during this time.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 03:08:58 PM »
This may be a perfectly natural thing that happens but, you have a closed system(nothing natural about that)......all the torn up plants in the pond/filter--all the eggs that are going to decay because they either weren't  fertilized or they were attacked by fungus--do and can cause water quality problems...and then if the fish eat the eggs they will poop more--your filters have to be up for the challenge and alot of water gardening folks filters barely handle day to day loads--much less alot of decay in the pond....
 Also keep in mind that anytime a spawning happens you do run the risk of injured or even loosing females....
Lawanna

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »
I agree with Lawanna about the extra load on the filter system.  It is a nautural thing to have happen, but it is in an unnatural system (closed).  Just because the water looks clear and does not smell does not mean it is OK.  It is very common to have an ammonia spike after spawing so you may want to monitor that.  If you see one you may want to do a partial water change.  If you are going to increase the water flow through the bio filter for this event why not do it now to prepare it for the event?

Mikel

Offline Tadpole

• Members
  • With us since: 30/01/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »
This may be a perfectly natural thing that happens but, you have a closed system(nothing natural about that)......all the torn up plants in the pond/filter--all the eggs that are going to decay because they either weren't  fertilized or they were attacked by fungus--do and can cause water quality problems...and then if the fish eat the eggs they will poop more--your filters have to be up for the challenge and alot of water gardening folks filters barely handle day to day loads--much less alot of decay in the pond....
 Also keep in mind that anytime a spawning happens you do run the risk of injured or even loosing females....
Lawanna

Many naturally occurring earth bottom ponds are closed systems, but their size, under normal circumstances, provides enough bioconversion to handle an event such a fish spawning. You basically have described the problem: insufficient filtration. I make it a matter of policy not to install or engage in a maintenance contract for any lined pond, Garden or Koi, that will not or does not have ample mechanical filtration, bioconversion capabilities and phyto-filtration in combination.

I blame the manufacturers for many ponds being under-equipped. Listing a filter.as being capable of handling, say, a 4000 gallon pond is misleading in the least. Such a blanket claim does not take into account the fish load, number of aquatic plants or the presence of a skimmer, which all factor in.This 4000 gallon rated filter under certain conditions would be hard pressed to adequately handle a pond of 2000 gallons or even less.

It is impossible to over-filter a pond, but very, very easy to under-filter one.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 05:53:29 PM »
If we stocked our lined ponds like they do earth ponds we wouldn't have to worry about spawning because we'd have one koi in the pond  ;).....earth ponds are stocked at a much much lower rate...Yes the whole filter thing bugs me too...they should stop selling filters for gallons of water but, instead stocking rate....Because that's truely what matters when it comes to filter size....
Lawanna

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 06:11:01 PM »
My filters are great. My pond is always crystal clear and the water always tests great. Never use any chemicals of any kind.  I do not have a skimmer system though. That would always help but during spawing it would be great to remove the faom. I placed a mat  of water celery from another pond in my main pond. It was about 3 foot round. It gave them something to use and boy did they use it. I used a skimmer net and removed all of it. It took them three days to finish their business. I over filled the pond and sprayed all the foam out.  I have been netting pieces of celery all day and each time spraying the surface of the water to force more foam out.
 I asked the question thinking that the combo of eggs, sperm and broken up plants might cause a spike. Thanks Mikel I was thinking ammonia spike. Seems all if good.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"