Author Topic: bigger pond need help  (Read 2170 times)

Offline leuc11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/04/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
bigger pond need help
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:36:02 AM »
Hey Guys right now I have a 850 gallon pond thats pretty sad and I want to make it around 3000 gallons. What I want to know right now is if im on the right track. For my filtration system I gonna use a ultima 2 4,000 with a 2'' head Ran on an external pump the pump will sit next to the filter and will be sucking from a bottom drain at a four foot depth in the pond. Isnt it if you add one foot of head for every ten feet youll get the amount of water that pump will pump? if so I calculated a pump that will pump about 3,200 per hour at the position it will be placed. I am also gonna use an altlantic skimmer with a 2500 gallon per hour pump that will lead to a filter fall. I have a few things im unsure of though I have clay soil were I live at about 3 feet into the ground and the drains will be at a minimum of four feet. should I did shelves for stability or should I add concrete blocks to the side Im more comfertable with the shelf part though.

Offline leuc11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/04/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: bigger pond need help
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:41:22 AM »
sorry for the questions I was also wondering if the ponds gona be about 12 to 14 feet long and 7 feet wide should I install 2 bottom drains run on the same pump or is one fine. I also heard people should try to get a bottom drain with atleast 4inch head to keep from cloging if the pump and filter both have 2 inch head could I use a four inch drain and then just adapt it to the filter and pump I will also burry a strainer in front of the pump so the pump dosnt get cloged

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:59:41 AM »
Welcome to AP and the qustion are welcome as well.  That's what it's all about.

You WLL get answers!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline -Greg-

• Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 07:02:36 AM »
Sorry for the delayed response, I have read good reviews over at Koiphen on the Ultima 2, and two bottom drains is great! With regards to head/pressure loss/gain, I believe there is more to the equation than just elevation. The amount of restrictive fittings (elbow's, tee's, reducers, etc.), flooded suction (pump mounted below waterline), and pipe size all play a role. Here is a great section on plumbing:
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?49198-plumbing-head-gravity-flow-system-curve-etc..

I have the Atlantic skimmer and wish that I would have gone with the Savio. The sides on the Atlantic are weak as well as the removable top, overall it is pretty flimsy.

I have the WLim 1/5 hp 3000 gph 1.3 amp pump, it has run constantly and preformed flawlessly for the past four years:
http://wlimstore.com/pumps/wave1.php

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 08:16:23 AM »
I have a Savio skimmer and really like the job that it does.  It is very sturdy.

Ruth

Ruth

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »
My homemade "Skippy" does very well and is very cheap!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"