Author Topic: Question for Tennessee residents re: Rhodendrons  (Read 1140 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Question for Tennessee residents re: Rhodendrons
« on: May 11, 2011, 03:34:56 AM »
Was wondering if anyone might know when in June the rhodendrons are in full bloom? A friend of mine wants to make a trip there to Roan Mtn (apparently where they have the most rhodendrons, or at least where its a major attraction) in June but does not know when to book her flight to be sure she does not miss it. She will only be able to stay for a few days so she's trying to "time" it as close to full bloom as possible.  Anyone know?
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Tennessee residents re: Rhodendrons
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:49:46 AM »
Well I'm not in Tennessee, but since no one has replied, our rhodo has already bloomed and my Mom's is budded up and showing color........I would think Tennessee's might be done by now, unless they are of a later blooming variety. 

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:37:19 AM »
The Roan Mountain Rhododendron Festival 2011 is June 18 & 19.  The rhodies will be blooming for several weeks around this date.
Ruth
Ruth

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 03:06:27 PM »
Thanks.  :)
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:04:23 PM »
Hmmm... 

The Pacific NorthWest is Rhody heaven, and we are Zone 7/8...  I'm not sure there is a "Rhody bloom time", except that it is late Winter to Early Summer, as we have them that bloom from mid-March to early June. and it can depend on how the winter treated them and the variety planted...  Cold wet winter/later bloom...  I planted so that I have Rhody's blooming all Spring and early Summer...

Dave

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »
The Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden in Portland OR holds it's biggest event every year on Mother's Day weekend but this year most of the Rhodies were not blooming yet... :(
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"