Author Topic: Tree by pond  (Read 1439 times)

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tree by pond
« on: June 10, 2011, 11:07:59 AM »
 I am sure it varies by tree but how close would you feel comforatable planting a new tree? In relation to your liner pond that is.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tree by pond
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:32:48 AM »
What kind of a tree?  A tree that has the potential to get very large, with large roots and overhang to make shade and drop leaves--or a miniature type of tree that is basically ornamental?
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline reddad35

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 01:09:08 PM »
 :D Actually thinking of a large shading tree.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:12:51 PM by reddad35 »

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
Well then, since I don't know what type of large tree you are considering...I would say several feet.  I don't know how large your yard is either.  Which side of the pond will it be on--and hopefully someone else will weigh in here.  I have several large trees in my yard--none of them is close to my pond.  My pond is pretty much in full sun all day also.  Some trees have large gnarly roots that come to the surface of the ground where hardly anything will grow and they are hard to mow around. 

My pond is tucked into a corner by house/garage.  It's the only place safe from occasional flooding during spring rains.  Or I would have a very large pond elsewhere in my yard!   ;D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:14:43 AM »
I was thinking about an autumn blaze red maple on the west south west side of the pond. Nurseries tell me 15 feet. I really would like a weeping willow to hang over the pond but I know that would not be wise.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 10:26:02 AM »
I don't feel qualified at all to give advice on this one... :P  I would be checking at the nursery and also with a reputable pond place as to what trees are fairly safe to place near ponds:  and my guess is that you are meaning because of large, water seeking roots.  The pond place that I frequent has some of their ponds placed near trees and even an established tree could still send out roots towards the pond.  My unqualified advice would be to place it a few feet away to give you ease of access to doing the things that need doing around your pond, and enjoy the shade that it provides in a few years.   :)

When you say the nursery said 15 feet--do you mean 15 feet tall or they recommend 15 feet away from the pond?  I agree that a weeping willow wouldn't be wise, besides unless you have a massive yard, these trees are on the very large side. 
LuAnn

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »
Thanks LuAnn. They said 15 feet away. Seemed a bit far to me. I have a Japanese maple and a crepe myrtle within 2 feet of my pond. I am desiring shade on that particular side and would really love something that would hang out over the pond.

Offline HTH

• Members
  • With us since: 14/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Howard The Humble
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »
Has anyone seen a root come through a liner ?

I would be more worried about the tree dropping tree junk, sap, leaves, and branches.
howardTheHumble

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 05:42:13 PM »
Know nothing about roots and liners. I do know about trees and leaves that fall off. 2 miles is about the closest I'd plant a tree. There are oak trees waaaaay up the road and I swear, they blow into my pond. I hate oak leaves, they never rot. Ok enough rant.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"