Author Topic: Finally... a break (and it's not one of my limbs)  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Finally... a break (and it's not one of my limbs)
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 06:34:30 PM »
That stinks.  >:(-

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 08:51:53 PM »
Yeah, it's a real pain trying to find a decent job around here.  So I made a decision the other day, and as of yesterday I am officially an ITT Tech student.  Hopefully I will learn a thing or two and be able to find another career.  I want to be a Network System Administrator when I grow up.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 05:18:01 AM »
That's a great decision!  I love a learning environment:  it's stimulating and fun.  Keep us posted on your progress!   ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 06:15:18 AM »
I hope it goes well.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 07:29:08 AM »
That really stinks.   >:(  I'm glad you have chosen to go back to school.  We can't keep our system admin long enough before he/she gets a better paying job some where else so you pick the right thing to do.   :)   O0

Kuan

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 11:42:15 AM »
thanks, it was something I was planning on before I got laid off, only now I wish I didn't wait so long...   My new year's resolution was to stop procrastinating, but I decided to wait another year.  duh.

When I was there to meet with a counselor, I asked about certain training and what to expect pay-wise.  One of them wasn't very much pay, and I told him, "I'm not all about the money, but I'm 50, not 24.  I don't have another 40 years to plan a retirement, so I need to get a higher paying job and I want to train for that so I won't have to work when I'm 76!  Who knows if SS will be there when I need it?

There was one woman there that I just didn't care for.  She was helping me with financial aide, and asked for the addresses of two friends for reference.  I told her I didn't have their addresses handy (I wasn't told I'd need that ahead of time) and she gave me a snobby look.  I told her, "I can drive you to their homes, but I don't write them letters!"  Then she smugly told me that she had the addresses of her references.  What a biatch!  If she was the first person I met there, I'd have left.  I don't think they need someone like that when people are trying to figure out how they're going to pay $45k for an education... I went there to meet with a counselor and an hour later I'm getting a class schedule and financial aid.  I wasn't expecting it to happen all that day! 

I have to meet with her again tomorrow, if she is still rude I'm going to let the school know.  It's not like she's doing me a favor, they are getting a lot of money for my classes!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 02:10:50 PM »
Once you get the training consider being independent and join a business network.  A friend does massages and joined a small independent business network where members meet regularly, exchange stories and business cards and this effort often leads to work for them.  We were having some problems with our PCs and our internal network.  This friend who does the massages gave us the business card of someone from her business network who works on computers.  We called him and what a blessing he has been.  He does good work and depends on referrals.  We have used him several times and have referred others to him.  He charges $60 an hour and has plenty of business.  He loves being his own boss and having the freedom to work when and where he wants.

Here's wishing you well in your new career change.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »
Thanks.

Yeah, it's all about networking.  I'm amazed, though, how little response I get from handing out my own business cards at these functions.  I get people all the time who say they want stickers, or bus cards, or a web site, or vinyl graphics... and yet I get no calls.   

Maybe things will change when I can actually prove with a piece of paper that I know something!  lol

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 04:04:12 PM »
It's great news Mike that you have a fantastic outlook for your future!  You'll do very well with all the knowledge and background you have shown us here.  Good Luck!

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 11:02:36 PM »
 Thanks... ugh.  I did homework tonight.  homework.  This is so weird, I haven't been in a real classroom for about 32 years.  I sure hope I do well.... :thinking:

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 10:40:11 AM »
presistence is the key!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
You have some advantages that the "kids" don't have. And of course they have some over you. Lean on your strengths and hang in there.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"