Author Topic: tub ponds and amazing HEAT  (Read 837 times)

Offline andi_mn

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
tub ponds and amazing HEAT
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:21:50 PM »
hi from minnesota. now that i have my very first waterlily bloom after a very long, cold spring, we are having close to 100 deg temps. i am not worried about my big pond but i have several above ground container ponds that have waterplants and lilies in them. wondering if they should be topped off to cool them down? the water is tepid, very warm. no fish in these containers but don't want the lilies to cook.
nothing like mn...was folding clothes and folded turtlenecks And tank tops ...all for one week of weather.
extremes anybody?    have a good fourth, andi

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: tub ponds and amazing HEAT
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:53:02 PM »
Dallas temps have been close to 100 every day for close to a month.  No problem with the lilies other than some red blooms getting crispy.  My tubs range from 30 gallons to 300 gallons besides my timber ponds.  Isn't that pretty extreme temps for your location?
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »
Extremes here also.  In the last week we have ranged from 111* to 89*.  I have lilies in tubs and I do top them off every night.

Offline andi_mn

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
ahhh, storms last night (some nasty) but it broke the temps and humidity. i think we have an ave of maybe 10-15 - 90+ deg per summer here.  but really 5 or 6 is more like it.  the worst garden-wise this year was the prolonged cold, rainy days. i just this week had my very first lily bud (have a couple of blooms in the last couple of days...yaay)  even a water garden center owner that i spoke to said that the lilies have minimal pads so far. going to be a short summer this year i think.   still...for a bit we get to enjoy our ponds, fall asleep to the frogs and toads calling, feed our fish and love our blooms.   have a lovely weekend, andi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"