Author Topic: Pump mishap, my fish are dead.. photos for those that it would bother dont look  (Read 2736 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Have been rushing around for a couple weeks trying to get ready to go to florida.  I have a very close cousin who spends the summers with me every year who is passing away with cancer.  I was so behind from the wet spring I keep delaying going to see her trying to get it all done.  WOrried about my fish and what if something happened while I was gone to them.  I have this love/hate relationship with my koi for lack of a better word.  I loved them but they keep my pond a mess.  I was gonna take them to turtlemikes big ponds but could no quite part with them yet.  Well we were leaving for Florida tomorrow and I was doing one last clean of the pump and filters, it was late last night since it was to hot to work in the day, the phone rings, I come in and forgot to go back out and turn the pumps on.  This morning they are belly up.  I never dreamed fish could die so quick, just one night without air. Maybe I worried to much about them in comparision so getting to florida.  Here is there last photo's.

tink

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Oh no Tink, those are such beautiful fish.  I can't believe it would happen that quickly either.  So sorry.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Sorry you lost them  :'(

I had to plug in a pump this morning as some of my fish in one of my bigger ponds were hanging around the air stone. 
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
So sorry Tink!  It's like forgetting the hose is running.  We all seem to do it.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Oh Tink I'm sooo sorry for your loss--but, yes with these temps there just isn't enough O2 in the water especially during the night time hours and plants also use up O2 in the water during the night...so it will always be the big ones that die first from lack of O2....Although I know your very upset this morning I want to thank you for postingt this if it helps to educate others along the way...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
Sooooo sad!  Sorry this happened to you and your Koi.   :'( :'(

But like Lawanna explained we learn a little from our mistakes.  Something I didn't know about either.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:40:02 AM by miguynmkoi »

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
So sorry Tink. I know how heartbreaking it is. Your Cousin is much more improtant right now, our prayers are with you and your family.
Kathy

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
Tink, I'm so sorry to read your news. Hugs!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
Joy,

Sorry about your fish, I had some fish die that way recently too.

So sorry to hear about your cousin, thoughts and prayers are with you!

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
Tink, so sorry about your fish.   :'(  They are like our family.  It is always sad when this happens.

Kuan

Offline Holldoll

• Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
So sorry for your loss! They are beautiful!

I didn't know they would die that fast either. 

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
Sorry about your fish. Was it 3 or more that died? I always keep a pump running for air at least. It is still sad when we loose fish.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
Oh how sad. So sorry.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tink, what a tragedy!  So sorry.

Please try to forget this, and concentrate on your cousin, and enjoy your visit.  I'm sure he / she really values you coming to visit.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I, too, am so sorry this happened to your wonderful fish.  I know how it feels to have things dumped on you all at once, and hope you are able to have a good visit with your cousin. Right now that is what is more important, so try to concentrate on that one piece for the moment.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
Tink, how heartbreaking.  What beautiful fish they are.  It has been so hot here, so I totally understand not wanting to mess around outside during the heat of the day.  My heart hurts for you... :'(
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Windwalker7

• Members
  • With us since: 03/08/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I first want to say that I am sorry to hear this news. I would also like to add something and I hope you do not take it the wrong way.

I am a firm believer in things happening in our lives for a reason. I know that you love your fish and did not want this to happen. Maybe by this happening, it will somehow make things easier for you visit with your cousin. You've put off your visit because of your pond and fish worries. Now, those worries are gone and you will be able to spend some much needed time with your cousin. You can now spend this time without the feeling that you need to get home and tend to your pond. You won't have the pond at home in the back of your mind. You can concentrate on some good quality time now.

I don't mean to make light of your situation. I'm just trying to help you see things in a different light.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:46:24 AM by Windwalker7 »

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. Especially sorry to hear about your cousin. :(
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
Tinkster,

I hope you don't beat youself up over this, it does happen, I've been through it myself, it has probably happend to more people than they'd care to admit to.

There has been some good advice in the post above on how this can be made less likely to happen. I'd be surprised to find that advice came from someone who learned the lesson the hard way. That's how I learned the lesson.

It helps when you can decide just what the primary function of the pond is. Is your primary interest in the plants, or the fish? When you can make that decision, you can do a better job designing a pond, or maintaining an existing one. I don't recall seeing too many backyard ponds that wasn't over-stocked with fish, if there was fish in them. It is that over-stocking that usually sets up this sort of disaster in the first place. The the tendency to over-stock is quite natural. If we followed Nature's stocking rates, many of our ponds would have NO fish in them, thoses that did would have so few they'd be hard to see.

When we increase the given body of water's capacity to hold fish, we also decrease the fish population to survive any kind of interuption of those "improvements" we made. Comes down to a simple equation, as the number of fish in a fixed volume goes up, the potential for loss goes up, exponentially.

Or more simply, fewer fish, more water, less problems.

A "properly stocked" Koi pond, usually reserved for high-end, show quality Koi, might only have one adult Koi per 1,000 gallons. At that stocking rate, the fish can comfortably survive for days with the power shut off. That sort of stocking rate is not something you are likely to find in a watergarden.

When you are keeping both plants and fish in the same pond, you have to compromise between the needs of both in the basic design. If one is more important to you, then you make that compromise lean towards that side of the equation. It's a balancing act. And there is nothing wrong with that.

You sound like the type that will learn from such an event, and move on. It's the best thing to do. I sincerly hope that's the way it goes.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Tink, I'm so sorry.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline water_sprite

• Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
So sorry Tink, I know you love your fish.

Brenda
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
Been there, done that.  I now have an air pump on another outlet.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
Sorry for your loss... :'(  :-\
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"