Author Topic: My stressful ponding summer (LONG POST)  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My stressful ponding summer (LONG POST)
« on: July 02, 2011, 09:45:36 PM »
My summer has been stressful. 

About two months ago, my pond developed a slow leak - about 1/2" water loss a day.  Decided to let it go down until the water level stabilized.  Then, I could feel just above the water line to find the leak.

I suspected either an old patch job from about six years ago failed (6" above the bottom of the deep end) or groundhog punctured the liner. 

It has taken over a month for the water level to drop - all those thunderstorms kept refilling!  I only have two 100-gallon stock tanks and my pond is 1300 gallons. 

OVER THE LAST WEEK:

I was raising goldfish fry in the two stock tanks.  Had to catch all of them (some still really tiny) and move them into into buckets/laundry tubs.  At least two dozen of them died after the move . . .

I built an above ground 100-gallon pond on my concrete patio.  Had to lug 50-lb bags of rock salt from the side of the house, concrete blocks I had stacked at the end of my property and rocks.

Took a few days after work and before teaching lessons.

Laid down a tarp then built the edges from the bags/rocks and some large Tupperware containers (filled them with water to stabilize the pressure).  Laid in a piece of liner my former assistant had given to me. 

Filled that up (figured about 125 gallons).  Had to buy another ($84) 100-gallon stock tank yesterday (7/1).

Took some pond netting and covered the stock tank and the above ground pond, even cable tied the netting to some PVC pipes to pull it tight.

Caught as many fish as I could and put them in the three stock tanks, above ground pond, containers around the above the ground pond.  Made sure all the netting was intact and drawn tight.

When I was leaving for a gig, last night (7/1) the 15" golden orfe had jumped from the above ground pond into one of the water-filled side containers.  I netted him and put him back in the above ground pond.  Put another PVC pipe where he jumped to weigh the net down more.

Played "Hello Dolly" about 15 miles from here.  Couldn't stop thinking about that orfe and hoped he was going to behave.

When I got home at midnight after my gig, the golden orfe was dead on the lawn.  Must have kept jumping at the netting until he the corner.  When I fixed the old leak, three out of the four orfes did the same thing.  This one was the only survivor back then.  Picked him up, put him in plastic bag and put him in the outside trash.

The leak stabilized yesterday and I could see the old patch hanging down.  Still had enough water to keep the pump and waterfall going.  About ten fish still in the regular pond.

This morning my wife said there were some dead fish floating in the above ground pond.  My two largest (13") midnight shubunkins, of course (had them at least six years).  Netted them out and triple plastic bagged them and put them in the outside trash cans.  Netted another midnight shubunkin who was gasping for air and put him back in the regular pond.  He's OK now. 

Added a small pump at the surface of the above ground pond aimed sideways to provide aeration.  Its in the high 80's here.  Move the air pump and lines outside and have an air line bubbling in all three stock tanks.  So, all fish have aeration.

Last time I patched the leak I used "Marine Goop".  That obviously didn't last.  I went on line and found a glue from "Mr. Sticky" (yeah, that's the name of the company) that is specifically for underwater pond liner patching.  Even can use it underwater.  Ordered that ($42 bucks with shipping, ouch . . .).  Hope that arrives by WED.

Checked all when I got home tonight at midnight after another gig.  No floaters.  Now I just have to wait for the glue to get here.  Probably will take some time off work and pump out more water in the main pond to get the level below the leak (will have to net out most of the remaining fish). 

Think I will patch the hole, then glue a larger patch over the first patch.  I'm getting too old for this kind of stress!

I think in the meantime I will get in the pond and reshape some of the dirt under the shelves to make them a bit wider.

Hopefully I can get the main pond fixed and filled again by the end of next weekend.  The earlier the better - worried that more fish are going to die.

Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline fishin4cars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/06/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My stressful ponding summer (LONG POST)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
Sorry to hear about all thatb stress! Know the feeling well! I had the same thing happen last year, mouse ate a hole in my water fall liner, the water kept level kept dropping down and eventually the liner in the pond split.   Oh well was time to upgrade anyway. 
   I do have one question, if your spending $42 on glue, why don't you just go ahead and buy a new liner and be done with the headache?  It will really suck to have to find out that the new patch didn't hold and have to do it all over AGAIN!  For a 1300 gallon pond a 45 mil liner on ebay wouldn't be a whole lot ( maybe $100-$125)more than the glue and one less stress factor you would have to worry about.

Offline Reedman

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:21:57 PM »
I thought about just buying a new liner and laying it over the old one.  But, I would have to tear apart my waterfall and redo it.  I has at least one ton of stone and would be a nightmare to move all the stone out of the way - my pond is inside a fenced-in area with only 3' on each side.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 11:08:35 PM »
A summer to remember. Folks have quit over less.  I can understand it too.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 04:03:16 AM »
Sorry about your fishies. Hope your glue comes quickly. What a drag.
Kathy

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:16:56 AM »
Oh my gosh, what a headache and worry!  I know it makes a person want to throw their hands up and just want to quit.  Wouldn't be so bad if there weren't fish to worry about.  Sorry to hear of all the labor, stress and expense.  Keep us posted on your progress. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 05:26:12 AM »
Definitely stressful & sorry about your fish.  Hopefully after all that hard work all will be repaired successfully.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 11:50:16 AM »
Oh man, nothing beats having to find the leaks and patching them up in the heat of the summer with jumpy fishies!! :(  I hope your new glue will help and no more fish loss.

Kuan

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 01:31:23 PM »
Sorry to hear about fish losse. Orfe don't always transplant well as you know. I lost one adult this spring after three years that jumped out. I do have plenty of young from last year 30-40. Too bad you don't live closer I would give you some to start over, once your repairs are made.

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 01:38:39 PM »
I just got home from my gig and no more floaters!   @O@

The aeration in each of the tanks looks like its working.  I'm going to do a partial water change in each tomorrow after my 11:00 4th of July concert.

I'm past the aggravation stage.  I think I'm over the sad stage about losing those three fish.
Reedman

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 12:54:42 PM »
That really sucks!  Sorry you had to endure all those problems and death of favorite fishies.  Hope all settles so you can enjoy your pond again.

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 02:19:11 PM »
Another midnight shubunkin died yesterday - 8", had that one for about four years . . .

Glue should arrive tomorrow or Friday and I can patch and then put this all behind me.
Reedman

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »
How long after you patch will you be able to fill with water and replace all the fish?

Keep us posted. 

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »
Julles,

This glue cures in 24 hours.  It says you can actually patch underwater, but I am going to let the area dry.  Then clean it with rubbing alcohol, rough it up with 60 grit sandpaper and patch away.

Probably will patch over the patch so there are two patches to prevent future problem.
Reedman

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 08:45:28 PM »
so sorry for all your troubles.. lost my 3 koi earlier this year and I havent had much interest in the pond again so far. 

I also am trying to find a leak.. I drained out my bog and took all the mud out with the intention of making it a pond for my minature lillies.. its about 3 ft by 8 ft or so.  I have a leak down to about 7 inches of water.. I dont know how to find where to patch mine :(

Be interested to know if the glu works.. I also have a ton of rocks, most I made of cement on top of the liner that would have to be busted out to replace.

tink

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »
Glue didn't arrive today, so earliest it would arrive would be MON since coming via UPS ground . . .  :(
Reedman

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 06:11:11 PM »
Not the Midnight Shubunkins  :'(  So sorry
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 07:00:27 PM »
Good grief. That's a lot of stress and hard work AND WORRY!! Hope you get the leak found and patch and everybody back home and safe in their wattery home.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 10:02:01 AM »
Just now seeing this. Man Dave I am so sorry to hear all your troubles. Makes mine minute for sure. So sorry about the loss of fish, esp. the Midnights. They were so pretty, and it's not like you can easily replace them.  :'(  I sure hope the glue works for you, that's a lot of $$$ for glue, but if it works it saved you a LOT of work. Good Luck my friend.

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 04:22:55 PM »
Hopefully the glue arrives tomorrow - MON 7/11. 

Timeline getting tight: we are leaving FRI for three days - going to VA to a niece's wedding.  I'll have to take off work at least two half days - first to patch, second to fill over the patch and watch for stable water level.

Third day - fill pond and put fish back into pond

Either MON/TUE/WED or TUE/WED/THU.

Reedman

Offline fishin4cars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/06/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »
8 days and your still waiting on glue? DANG!  {:-P;; I woke up this moring to my 400 gallon pond 75% empty, Weird deal, the pump broke a tab off where the protective cage mounts, and I guess went unnoticed for quite a while, anyway it rubbed the side of the liner and cut a 1" x 3/4" hole through the liner. So Off to the garden center this morning, a new 12 x 12 45 mil liner, 2000 gph pump, and heck I figured while I was there I grabbed a new water lily too. Total cost, $248, put the fish in a few large 128 quart ice chest with air stones in the shade, 6 hours later the pond is back up and running, the fish are doing great,  o(and I didn't lose a single fish or the bacteria bed.   Also figured out a way to keep that from happening again, the pump is now inside of a old plastic milk crate in the center of the pond, Can't rub a hole in the side again, and if for some reason something does happen I won't lose but 50% of the water next time. wheh, been a busy day!  :P I think I'll go fishing Monday or Tuesday.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"