Author Topic: Some people are just so hard to talk to  (Read 1250 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Some people are just so hard to talk to
« on: July 20, 2011, 01:02:54 PM »
I just have to get this off my chest... nobody here to talk to anymore.

While I'm in school, there's a guy I've sort of become friends with, but conversation with him gets me to the point where I'm thisclose to telling him to just shut up for a while.  He's a nice guy, but it's like he tries really hard to prove that he knows more than everyone else, and often times he has partial details without any facts.

He makes conversation extremely frustrating, it's like I could tell him that I raise koi and that I've done it for 26 years, and he will still argue with me about something that I know isn't true.  He'd say something like, "a koi bite is poisonous" and I'd say, "no, it's not" and he'd say, "actually, it is and you need to get the antivenom for it". (that's not the conversation, but believe me it was just as dumb)  You just shake your head and let it go, but you know he's telling the same thing to others.

Then he starts to tell me about something and says, "you want to know how it works?".  I said, "not really, I'll never buy one of those so I don't need to know how it works."  And so he starts to draw out a diagram and explain it to me.  What part of "not really" was confusing??

If he says, "my brother doesn't like seafood" and I say, "my brother doesn't either, he's actually allergic to it".  He will respond with , "I didn't say my brother is allergic to it, he just doesn't like it".  Then I have to explain, "I'm not saying your brother is allergic, I said mine is".  He will still respond, "well, he's not allergic, he just doesn't like it."

I don't mind someone teaching me something that I don't know, especially something that I want to learn, but sheesh - get the facts straight and don't try to tell me something that I know isn't true!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:27:48 PM by mascot »
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Some people are just so hard to talk to
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 02:21:24 PM »
Run don't walk! @O@
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:26:26 PM »
Jeez Michael, this guy doesn't know how to be a friend--he isn't good at LISTENING.  He just likes to hear himself talk.  Like Jerry said, I'd run from this guy. 

BTW, how is the school going?  I'm curious to know! :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »
Yeah, it's tough because he is a nice guy, but still... I find myself having to justify every little thing I say to him.  I thought I was bad, this guy makes me not feel so bad for being a pita to everyone.

School is going well, some of the work is really easy, and since I expect it to be harder I question whether I did it right or not! lol  I started after the first two classes because that's when I went in to ask about school.  They wanted me to start immediately so I wouldn't have to wait another semester.  But one of my teachers is giving me a 0% for attendance for that first day when I wasn't even enrolled yet, which counts towards my final grade.  That's just not right, the other teacher gave me a full grade because she knew that the class was just an introduction.  So I get an F for attendance for that one class, which gives me an 89.4, a B+.  The other two classes I'm taking I have 100%, an A.

Who knows if I'll be a 4.0 student the rest of the year, but still...  why fault me for missing one day when I wasn't even enrolled yet?  They are the one's who wanted me to start after they knew I'd missed a couple classes.

I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »
As a professor told my son while he was in college...after the first job, nobody really looks at your grade point average anyway.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 04:25:37 PM »
Good to hear the classes are going well Michael.  I wouldn't worry about the final grade.  When was the last time you saw someone's transcripts in a doctor's office?   ;D

With respect to your friend I suggest drawing a circle somewhere on your hand or arm.  That circle will be your "IGNORE" button.  Whenever he says something stupid just press your ignore button.  Should he catch on and ask why you have a circle on your arm that you keep touching I suggest being candid with him.  This sort of reminds me of that scene from War Games where Jim tells his nerd friend Malvin, "Remember when you told me to tell you when you are acting rudely and insensitively, well you're doing it now".  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNiiBrEHBWA

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 06:01:30 PM »
Good to hear you are doing so well.  I just can't figure out some professors, they are their own worst enemies.  Doesn't that just make THEM look bad?  What do they get out of giving you a zero since you weren't there.  Well, I wouldn't stress over ignorance, just move on.  I also doubt myself when things are easy and I thought they would be difficult--I think I should struggle more so I can earn my good grade..... ::)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 10:20:09 PM »
I bet you can appeal the one guys ruling, especially after they see what you can do.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:37:31 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the final grade.  When was the last time you saw someone's transcripts in a doctor's office?   ;D

That may be true once you get the job, but employers pick the top 10% in a graduating class before they look at those who don't worry about thier final grade!   But I do realize that one class won't really affect my overall grade that much, it's just one of those little things that bugs me.

I remember that "Mr Potato Head!" scene like it was yesterday.  ah the memories...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"