Author Topic: Slow boring lillies this year  (Read 846 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Slow boring lillies this year
« on: August 04, 2011, 04:47:34 AM »
One lily finally took off and is shooting out lots of pads. The other 2 are only getting about 6 pads at a time and all are producing one flower at a time, and far between. I am surprised because our temps here have been constantly 10+ degrees above normal. I did divide them a little late this year, I think it was May. Planted in oil change tubs in composted manure with Osmocote. The tags have been lost, so I am not sure who they are.
Kathy

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Slow boring lillies this year
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 04:51:23 PM »
Hey perplexed, when you put the osmocote in did you wrap it in anything? I was thinking maybe you could pull that out and get something with a higher middle number? Maybe they need more phosphate/boron? Just a thought......I know this is a controversial topic, but I don't personally think I would use osmocote.....I know people love it, but I am just not sold on the idea. I use Pondcare tabs for mine.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 08:38:45 AM »
I just put the Osmocote (pink cap) in the bottom fo the tub and use composted cow manure and pebbles on top. Usually works great, but we moved and have different water now, so maybe it needs something more. I think I have some tabs here somewhere, I will stick a couple in there. Thanks!
Kathy

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:49:55 AM »
Just a thought on the Osmocote...it releases in 70* temps if I remember correctly.  What is the temp of the water in your new pond?  Has it warmed up enough yet for the fertilizer to release?  Maybe the water temps has slowed down the whole process of growth.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"