Author Topic: Old bloom &leaf trimmer  (Read 1001 times)

Offline minnowman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Old bloom &leaf trimmer
« on: August 13, 2011, 11:33:48 AM »
Mike's thread about his PITA ponds prompted me to show my D.I.Y. leaf and old flower trimmer. It is a double edged razor blade clamped into a plastic J-hook, attached to an 8' wooden closet pole. The plastic pieces cover the razor blade to prevent liner damage. You just hook the leaf or flower stem close to the plant's crown and give it a sharp tug. Then you lift the old leaf out of the pond. It makes it easy to clean up a pond and reduces the necessity of getting into your pond.
Gary

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Old bloom &leaf trimmer
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 04:21:37 PM »
I am glad you posted a close up. But I wonder how long it takes to get the pruning done and can you reach all of your lilies?  My pole would have to be very long  :-\.  Then I would worry about the fish getting in the way of the blade.  I wonder what other pruning tips will come along on this thread. 

Cindy

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »
I thought I remembered Esther and Mikey posting something about their inventions a long time back.  Maybe they will re-inform us of their contraptions!   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 06:21:36 PM »
Clever & I love your pond.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 06:41:56 PM »
Very good idea. Makes me wish I had one like that as getting into the pond doing the
grooming does get old!!!   

Marie Fisher

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 09:07:48 AM »
Mine were not cutters. I screwed a very large threaded hook into a piece of doweling  that is inside an pool type extension pole. I put screws through the metal pole, into the doweling to secure it and then drilled a hole in the end of the dowel and then screwed the hook into the hole. It works great to snag my pots that have handles, either the plastic ones that came on the buckets or polyester rope that was added to the pots. It also works well on the pots that have a ridge around the top edge. My pond has a ledge so sometimes I slide the pot over to the ledge and ease it to the ledge and then I can pull it out of the pond. Oh and that pole has a toilet cleaner brush on the other end to go after string algae if you don't want to get in the pond. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"