Author Topic: Strange California Fish & Game laws  (Read 841 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Strange California Fish & Game laws
« on: November 10, 2011, 04:40:19 PM »
Question: I plan to go out with my family into a pretty uninhabited area of D7 to camp while we bow hunt for deer. I would like to have my pistol at camp for protection purposes while I’m there. However, when I leave camp in my truck to get to the hunting areas, I will absolutely not leave the handgun in the tent due to the presence of children and possible theft. Would it be legal to carry just the handgun and leave all of the ammunition in the tent, and store the pistol in a locked case inside and under the deck lid of my truck? I want to keep my family safe but not feel like a criminal for doing so. (Anonymous)

Answer: Yes, you may have the firearm in a locked case in your vehicle while you are in the field hunting deer during the archery season. However, game wardens are likely to thoroughly search your vehicle if they have reason to believe the ammunition may also be in the vehicle. Make certain there is none! And when in the Condor Zone, you are required to have non-lead ammunition while hunting, even at camp.

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Michiponder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Strange California Fish & Game laws
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:33:35 PM »
Many years ago I was up against a similar problem here in MI.  I could not lock the gun in the trunk because my car did not have one (hatchback).  What I did was put the ammo and trigger lock key (good thing to have if kids are around) in the back under the spare tire cover and locked the gun with trigger lock on in the glovebox.  Wouldn't you know it I got pulled over and remembered that the registration was in thier too.  I told the officer that a gun was there cased and locked.  He had me remove it and hand it (cased) to him.  He got a big smile on his face when he opened it and said "nice gun".   Turned out he had the same gun!  After checking the paperwork he just said "slow down a little" and left.

Mikel

Offline Waterbug

• Members
  • With us since: 13/09/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »
From what I've seen on the news I thought you could carry a unloaded gun anywhere. Not true?

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »
From what I've seen on the news I thought you could carry a unloaded gun anywhere. Not true?
That likely varies from state to state.  I believe the California legislature is presently pushing a bill to outlaw the open carrying of unloaded firearms in our state. 

A sleepy little sea-side community just a few miles south of me lost 8 lives recently when a gunman came into a hair salon to kill his ex-wife and killed her and 7 others.  An armed citizen could have put a quick stop to that.  I had lunch the week prior at a place just around the corner from that salon.  I allowed my ccw permit to expire a couple of years ago and never renewed it because I never carried a gun when I had the permit.  I'm now re-thinking that issue.......
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Waterbug

• Members
  • With us since: 13/09/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 03:56:04 AM »
An armed citizen could have put a quick stop to that.

Here in AZ I'm more concerned about my fellow armed citizens - zero training required for concealed weapons. Being in the crossfire is starting to be my main concern. Kind of strange, I now look more at regular people as the potential threat. In a crowded area I think I'd keep my weapon holstered and try to get out, or take cover anyway.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"