Author Topic: my usual fall question  (Read 640 times)

Offline andi_mn

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
my usual fall question
« on: October 17, 2011, 10:55:56 AM »
crud, what the heck to i do with my waterlilies? i Still havent overwintered successfully.  am wondering...today we emptied the pond and caught the fish etc. can i just leave the lilies in their pots, cut them back and put them in water (as in a kiddie pool ) and winter them in the basement with the fish?  keeping the crowns under water?  usually i take them out of the pots and hose all dirt off, cut them back and store them in ...wet leaves (didn't work) wet newspaper (really didnt work)  etc.   i Really love my lilies, had some gorgeous blooms this yr from kats plants.  help...
it's a beautiful fall day here in minnesota but winter is coming. the wooly catipillars say it's going to be a hard winter, lol. thanks, andi   
btw- i read this forum everyday. love to see the pics of ponds and lilies. no way could someone change my mind about the quality and niceness of am ponders. andi

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: my usual fall question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
Are you trying to winter tropical or hardy lilies?

I'm in zone 6 and leave my hardies outside for the winter.  Last year them had about 10'' ice on the tanks and the ice was actually sitting on top pf some of the pots.  I didn't lose a single one.  Tropicals have to be brought in and I am still learning how to do that successfully.

Bringing the pots into the basement and having them covered with water should work.  Good luck.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"