Author Topic: seed pod and N.'Evelyn Randig'  (Read 1287 times)

Offline minnowman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
seed pod and N.'Evelyn Randig'
« on: November 02, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »
Last night i found a seed pod on the 'Caerulea. It was hiding on the bottom. The species lilies set seed on almost every bloom. If I don't cut them off thousands of  seeds will sprout everywhere next Spring. In the pic. of the cut pod you can see some of the seeds. The red color indicates that they are still immature. They turn nearly black when they are ripe.
'Evelyn Randig' has been a little disappointing. It blooms every day and the pads are gorgeous, but most of the blooms don't open fully. Today it opened all the way. It is in the greenhouse now, in partial shade. Next year I'll try it outside in full sun.
Gary

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: seed pod and N.'Evelyn Randig'
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 04:31:03 PM »
Wow that is so cool!  I've never seen a pod like that before.  Will the red seeds ripen after the pod is cut opened?  Thanks for sharing these pic!

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 07:50:33 AM »
I was wondering if you keep your tropicals in a greenhouse over winter.   I wanted to share with you something I learned the hard way.  I put most of my tropicals in the green house, which was huge, and heated enough to keep the terrestrial plants from freezing, but did not have heaters in the lily tanks...which were also very large tanks.
I lost almost every tropical lily...except those that had a good, hard tuber...which did come back from the tuber...but the tropicals I left outside in the big tanks in full sun, came back much better and most didn't die completely back.   Since some of the lilies were new (in the green house) and didn't have a tuber....I lost all of those.   

I am not sure where Thibideaux, Louisiana is located, but I'd imagine, south Louisiana.   I live near Galveston, Texas, so our climates are probably similar.

Anyway, after that, I no longer kept lilies inside over the winter.   Of course, it can probably depend on how much cold we get....all winters aren't the same.   Some years we get a lot more freezing temperatures and some years, scarcely a frost, but the outside tanks warmed up much better than the tanks in the greenhouse.   If I ever kept lilies in the greenhouse again, I'd probably put heaters in the tanks.

Offline minnowman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 03:20:35 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Marilyn. We're about 50 miles West of New Orleans. What do you think caused the plants to die in your greenhouse? I kept my tropicals in greenhouses last year with only a few mortalities. The water temp got down to 53*. This year I plan to build Solar heat exchangers inside the greenhouses, but I haven't found the time yet. I'll post progress reports occasionally.
Gary

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 06:47:08 PM »
Last winter here in zone 6 I left some tropical lilies in one of the ponds. I did not do this on purpose I overlooked about 5 pots. The tubers survived. I was sure surprised none of my ponds are deep. They survived in 15 inches of water.  And they were lilies that grew from tubers. And they were blue lilies. But the next winter could be a different story.ey

Offline magoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »
Gary,

I had an Evelyn Randig about ten years ago and I remember it being much darker than this.  The one I have in my pond now appears identical to yours though.  I guess I mis remember. Larkin and I had a nice flounder catch at the Trestles on Lake Ponchatrain last week. How's the fishin' down tour way?

Dan
If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' to excess
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/magoo_/

Offline minnowman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »
Hi Dan, Sorry it took so long to reply. The last I heard the redfish were everywhere in the marsh. Flounder taste better, but redfish are more fun to catch. I don't have time to fish lately because this waterlily addiction is taking all my time. There's still plenty to do with the greenhouse heaters and the deck. It would be nice if all of the Winter was like it is now. Come over for a visit sometime.
Gary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"