Author Topic: autumn chores  (Read 2550 times)

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
autumn chores
« on: October 09, 2011, 01:48:43 PM »
had to put net on pond today . guess i need to find the rake and keep an eye open for the snow shovel . peace

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: autumn chores
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 02:32:47 PM »
Even though the majority of the leaves here are still green...I'll be hunting up the net soon

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 02:02:35 PM »
caught a couple frogs on the net this morning in put them in big pond . i've found the resident frogs dead last couple of years after ice is gone so thought the ones i can catch may have a better chance over wintering in other pond....... assuming they can swim faster than a largemouth bass .

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 04:34:32 PM »
2 Vettes, is your pond a natural pond or lined? I have heard that the frogs need to dig into the mud at the bottom . Right now we have a great big frog but today I trimmed all the plants back to nothing and he no longer has any place to hide and my pond is lined. So he may leave. The weather is supposed to be semi warm for another few days. I hope he leaves and has time to get to the river during that time. If I see him tomorrow, maybe I'll try to catch him and drive him down to the river. We're maybe a quarter of a mile away.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:27:36 PM »
I keep putting back doing my fall chores.  The weather is still some what nice; days in the 70s and nights in the 50s.  I'm sure I will have to do something about the pond this weekend.  My old nets broke so I asked DH to get one with tiny little opening/holes so the smaller leaves/debris won't fall into the pond so easily.

Snow??  Argh.... not so soon.  I do like cooler weather though, especially after this unusually hot summer...

Kuan

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 05:34:21 AM »
I'm dreading doing mine.  Didn't bother to catch & rehome a lot of goldfish because it was so hot this summer.  Need to move all my tropicals to their winter covered ponds.  Really should drain & vacuum all the ponds.  Snow .... eek!
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline newpondgal

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 08:42:57 AM »
The trees here in MD have started turning colors, however, our temps are still in the uppers 70's and yesterday it was in the 80's.  I'm thinking I have 2-3 more weeks before I will have to get the netting out...but I need to make room in the house for my pond plants!

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Hubby helped me drain and vacuum all the tanks.  There were two leopard frogs.  I hope they find a home for the winter.

We caught all the babies and he found a home for 100 from last summer.  We still have at lease that many left. 

We figured that refills coat about a buck and a quarter each, so we will be doing bigger water changes next summer.  This record hot summer is the first time I added air to the still unfiltered tanks.  There wasn't near as many babies as usual.

My tropicals are still blooming, so I will leave them in until the first frost at least.  I still have an occasional bloom on a hardy.  I did toss some duplicates of some hardies on the compost pile.  It is much easier to get rid of them in the fall when there are no buds than in the spring when there are.

We have lots of elm trees.  I simple scoop them out as best as I can after they all fall.

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 09:36:20 AM »
I just got out of my pond. I was pruning pads and blooms. We still have plenty of tropical blooms and yesterday there was one hardy that bloomed. I did notice that the amount of pads were not as much as two weeks ago.  After this summer's heat and drought I am so ready for just milder weather. 

Cindy

Offline tayana

• Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »
Just started my pond up July 4th of this year.  Really freaked out about leaving my fish in the pond for the winter.  I have 2 large fantail goldfish and 4 smaller koi in a 3500 gallon pond. I probably could catch the goldfish but the koi are small enough that they can get behind the rocks.  My fish stopped eating a week and a half ago and the pond temp varies from 50 to 48 degees.  The waterfall is still running so in the next couple of weeks I will have to shut that down.  I check my fish daily along with the temp of the pond.

Offline tayana

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 08:22:37 PM »
Sunday I shut down and cleaned my waterfall and skimmer:(.  Almost to late cause we got a skiff of snow last night.  It was gone by the time I got home from work today.  But it looks like more snow in the forcast.  Tonight it is suppose to be in the teens.  It is so strange to go outside and not hear the waterfall running.  Can't wait for spring! LOL

Offline big ron

• Members
  • With us since: 16/01/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 03:23:23 AM »
The trees here in MD have started turning colors, however, our temps are still in the uppers 70's and yesterday it was in the 80's.  I'm thinking I have 2-3 more weeks before I will have to get the netting out...but I need to make room in the house for my pond plants!

Offline big ron

• Members
  • With us since: 16/01/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 03:29:57 AM »

Just saw your post and thought I would say hey.  I am from Fallston, Md.   Been ponding for 2 years and really love this site.  It has really helped me out a lot.  Take care ... Talk to you soon.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 05:55:37 AM »
I'm with Jerry ....  Snow?  What's snow?!   ;D

Ron, welcome!  If you get a chance, post a pic of your pond.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »
We're expecting Santa Ana winds around this time of the year now.  The winds are dry and warm which totally dries out old pine needles from the junipers backing my lily pond.  This requires the screen window netting over the pond.  Now I can't see my fishies from the kitchen window  :P 

I will try to flush out impurities (nicely put) from the bio-filters when I find time, hopefully soon!

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 12:56:02 PM »
I just got out of my pond pruning lilies.  We are supposed to get a front tonight so it was now or maybe next week or so.  It was cool but the fish were moving around.  My tropical water lilies are really slowing down.  i think they are confused.  They stayed open all day and night the other day.

Offline tayana

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 12:33:48 AM »
Early this morning it snowed.  :(  I ended up taking the tarp that I had over the pond off due to part of it being in the middle of the pond because of the weight of the snow.  The wind was blowing so I was getting pine needles in the pond which sucks.  It is snowing lightly outside now, extended forcast for next week is snow! >:(-  One good thing is tonight I saw all six fish in the pond, I haven't seen all of them together since Oct. 12. :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"