Author Topic: Ruined pumps and more  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Michiponder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ruined pumps and more
« on: December 06, 2011, 06:56:43 PM »
Time to go to war with my utility company.  Had power surges that apparently cooked 2 of my pond pumps.  It also took out a pond air pump, greenhouse cieling fan, greenhouse exaust fan, thermostatic controlers, compact flouresent lights, furnace, oven, phone system, tv's, recorders, garage door openers, fireplace fans, and even burned the carpet when the surge protectors got hot and started to melt.  At least I have the two ponds outside with fish in them covered with insulation so they did not freeze over.  Have replaced pumps with two small ones I had in the garage for now.  Not many stores  have any pumps on the shelves here this time of year.  Any one here have recomendations for buying  pumps online?  I will be buying  2000 and 3600 gph submersibles.  Jeez!  This is usually the time of year when work on the ponds and fish comes to a screeching halt for several months for me.  Hoping the fish will be OK.  Am halting thier tiny winter rations just to be sure since the filter are barely running.

Mikel

Offline unprofessional

• Members
  • With us since: 01/07/2010
    • View Profile
Re: Ruined pumps and more
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:39:59 AM »
Our power company just sent us a flier yesterday for surge protection at the box for $2 a month.  You might see if yours offers the same thing.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 04:57:19 AM »
Wow, I guess I have been lucky.  We've had that kind of power surge but only after a winter ice storm when the power came back on after 9 days.  We made a claim with our insurance company to replace our kitchen stove and a couple of tv's, and they dropped us--after 20 years of paying premiums and no claims.  Right.

So sorry to hear of all the damage it did.  I don't know what kind of pumps you had working for you, but you could try searching for your pumps online.  The pond store here is open year round and they carry pondmaster pumps.  You could pm me and I could give you a link or a phone number if you like.  Or many of the sponsors of AP probably carry the pumps you need. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 04:56:08 PM »
I didn't know all that damage could happen with a power surge.  Sucks major!  Hope you are able to set everything right. 

I like to use Webbsonline.com, they are very responsive to my ponding needs.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »
Webb's is good. Joe's Koi also.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 04:32:37 AM »
I didn't know all that damage could happen with a power surge.  Sucks major!  Hope you are able to set everything right. 
Wow, I didn't know either.  We had "controlled" power outages this spring during a really bad cold spell.  Hope it doesn't happen again.  Good luck.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 04:49:10 AM »
Mikel, that's a LOT of damage.  Surely the power company takes responsability and pays for all that loss - although I have a feeling they are good at wiggling out of paying....can you imagine the money for replacing the electric and electronic possessions of people all across their service area?! 

Here we haven't had power "surges" but do somewhat frequently have what I call "blips," which is when the power blips off for a few seconds, then comes back on.  No surges, though, so no damage other than having to reset all the digtital clocks.   >:(  I do have surge protectors (the kind you buy at Radio Shack) where my cumputer and other expensive electronics plug into the wall. 

On line, I have used 123Ponds, AZPonds, and PondBiz.  Check prices and shipping rates.  Pondmaster pumps are great.

Oh, and good lesson for having a back-up pump.

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:56:30 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  That gives me lots of places to check for new pumps.   I feel very fortunate that my wife works in management for our house insurance carrier.  Looks like they are going to give us replacement value on most of it and are going after our utility for the deductable too.  They even said to keep track of my time on it.   Did already pay for the furnace to be repaired as we needed heat right away (over $1,300).  As upsetting as all this is it looks like it is all going to work out OK.  I checked on the insurance from the utility and found that in this case it is not necessary because they are actually liable for it anyway.  It was caused by thier faulty equiptment and a contractor of thiers that made a faulty repair the last time.  Not a new thing with them.  Several years ago the state sued them over the poor maintenance of thier lines.  As I see it they got very lucky all the koi were not whacked or they would be paying for over 50 of those too (and I love my  pets a lot).

Mikel

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"