Author Topic: Abnoxious WEED as a ground cover... Ever been tempted???? :)  (Read 1542 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Abnoxious WEED as a ground cover... Ever been tempted???? :)
« on: January 12, 2007, 04:10:58 PM »
I have done so much clearing and trying to get ready for "massive" areas of groundcover to complete my ponding look ... but.. I have this horrid little weed type ground cover.. it almost looks like some type of raptans  except it has this very very tiny white flower.. it is so prolofic than I am wondering up on the bank if I should just let it cover every inch, it is dense and it is green and probalby wouldnd be to ugly if I didnt know it was a weed... I keep pulling and it keeps growing two for every one I pull... anybody thought of letting a weed take over? :)

tinkster

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Abnoxious WEED as a ground cover... Ever been tempted???? :)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 05:11:06 PM »
Hi Tink,

I have wood sorrel growing in my yard. It was there when we moved here and once I saw it in full bloom, I left it to grow. It beats the grassy, viney stuff that grows in the yard in the Summer and it has pink blooms. It also grows in the Fall, Winter, and early Spring. So, there is color in my yard most of the year.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 06:49:36 PM »
Well it depends on what you want it to cover. Something that is very invasive will eventually take over the world. I had something get into my rock garden and it is spreading all over. I tore up the rock garden, put the plants in pots, dug out 4" of soil and dumped it out back and put in new soil. This is an enclosed area. The darned stuff has tiny bebe sized bulbs on the roots and when you pull it up, yup, they all break off. So when the mother plant dies back in early spring, it has shed 6-14 new baby plants. So I asked the Michigan State Ag dept what this stuff was and found out it has been declared invasive in 7-8 states. She said to NEVER donate any of my plants to anybody until it is under control and spray for it with a brush killer. So now I have it almost under control by the house but back where we dumped the soil  we dug out, we have to work on it now or we'll never be able to use that soil without spreading the stuff. It is coming up in the lawn and I have dug a few sprigs out of the front where the pond is. Here's an article about what I had/have.

Offline goldenangel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 07:00:30 AM »
Sounds like you are having my problem.  If I go one day without pulling any it becomes very thick and almost impossible to get rid of.  I have even tried killing it but nothing is strong enough.  I would sure like some suggestions on finally getting rid of this stuff.  I don't know what it is but it is a vine with small white flowers, if left to bloom.  It covers everything.  I have it growing up the porch and covering every sq in on the ground.  If I pull it I swear 2 or more take its place.  I totally understand what you are going through.
Central IL zone 5

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 10:22:57 AM »
Call the local good plant sale place. They'll know who to call and then you can maybe take a picture of the stuff or send in a sample. We have a local extension office so I took a piece to them. Or maybe do a search on obnoxious or invasive weeds and see if you can find a match.

Offline goldenangel

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 11:32:49 AM »
Thanks Esther.  I will have to try that. 

At least they are not growing right now. ;D  The only positive thing about winter.
Central IL zone 5

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 11:46:02 AM »
Scott... lol on the florida grass.. it may stay green year round but it sure is not to soft to walk on is it.

Esther......SOIunds like a great idea to.. I am still in the dirt no flower stage so I am gonna put down a heavy black plastic and mulch mine realy heavy and cover with some rocks so it dont look so bare  and let it sit till maybe midsummer or so then see if mine will be clear for planting. 

I am trying to be very careful where I dispose of the weed that I dig up.. where are you at golden??  mine is still green and growing this winter.. we havent had a bad winter yet but some very heavy frosts and a few freezes.

tinkster

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 05:37:33 PM »
Tink,

There is hardly any grass in the front, it's all in the back. If it's kept cut like the park owner wants it, yes, it's like walking on knives.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline goldenangel

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 12:22:02 PM »
I am in Central IL.  We have been warm here too for the most part.  We had a cold spell the 1st of december that lasted about a week to week and a half bringing us singe digit temps and up till this weekend we have been above freezing.  I was just getting use to 50's and even 60's.  Crazy weather.  Nothing around here is really starting to grow.  I had some daylillies that I'm sure were starting to grow but I mulched so thick this fall that I never saw any growth coming through.  The weeds aren't growing yet.  Most everything is still brown around here.  I put mulch down last summer but that still didn't stop them.  They even grow in low light areas.  ERR  What drives me nuts is that if you miss one day they seem to take over everything.
Central IL zone 5

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 08:52:33 PM »
Could your vine with tiny white flowers be chickweed? Here is a Q&A courtesy of www.carrollgardens.com newsletter:

Question: Here are some samples of the weeds in my lawn. Is there a way to kill them without killing the earthworms of which I have an excellent population? Without killing the grass I do have left? I live in Glen Rock, PA and I have to be careful what I use as my yard is sloped and runoff will travel to plants I want to live.

Answer: With modern weed killers, especially liquids applied according to label directions, you need not worry about the earthworms or runoff. These weed killers work through the leaves and you need only a tiny amount of active ingredient for them to be effective. Once the weed killer dries on the leaves, it essentially stays there and does not wash into the soil.

The weed that you have identified as the worst (the one with the very small light green leaves and tiny white flowers) is chickweed. It germinates from seed in the fall. Chickweed grows larger and blooms over the winter, especially during mild periods, drops its seeds and then dies in the summer heat. In this year's mild winter, chickweed has grown prolifically and seems to be smothering out everything in its path. Winter application of weed killers is usually not effective because even winter weeds are not growing actively enough in winter. If the weather stays unusually mild so that the winter weeds keep growing quite vigorously, Bonide's Weed Beater Ultra may be effective this winter.

In any event, as soon as the weather warms in the spring, spray all of the weedy sections of your lawn with Weed Beater Ultra lawn weed killer - even if you sprayed this winter.

To prevent winter lawn weeds next year (prevention is the most effective control), apply a weed preventer in mid-September. This will kill the weed seeds as they germinate. The best of these weed preventers is Portrait. Dimension Crabgrass Preventer also suppresses many winter weeds, although not as effectively as Portrait. It can be used as an alternate and applied at the same time.

Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 09:08:17 PM »
THanks for the info!  I did a search on chickweed though and thats not what I have.. prettier than mine though.. I will take a picture of them tomorrow to see if anybody knows what they are.. they sure sound like that one though.. they are growing by the inches every day.

tinkster

Offline goldenangel

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 04:35:02 PM »
Don't believe that is what I have either.  If it wasn't dormant right now I would take a pic for you.  The picture is similar though, so they are probably closely related.  I'm guessing.
Central IL zone 5

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"