Author Topic: Just venting...  (Read 1749 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Just venting...
« on: December 24, 2011, 05:38:24 PM »
I've had a strained, distant relationship with my mother for several years/decades, and simply got tired of her catering to my drug addict brother and treating me like crap.  So today I got an email from her, but it was an accident.  She sent it to my niece, and I guess she wanted to blind copy my brother but blind copied me instead.

If the %#$ch doesn't want to talk to me, fine, but I wish she'd just remove me from her address list so I don't have to get these accidental emails! >:(-
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Just venting...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »
Are you sure that it was an accidental email, or she is severely passive aggressive?  Just sayin.....

No matter what the reason, it's hurtful.  Plain and simple.  I'm sorry that you got it and it stirred up bad feelings, especially at this time of year.  This is an idea:  put her email on your 'spam' list--it goes to spam automatically and you don't have to read it.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Don't do anything harsh.  Cool off and give it plenty of time to heal and allow you to consider what, if any, response you should take.  Words out of the mouth is like toothpaste out of the tube.  Once out it darn near impossible to get back in.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 02:49:32 AM »
Knowing her, it was just her being a bonehead and not paying attention to what she was doing.  And no, I'm not going to reply, say or do anything harsh.  As I said, I just wanted to vent about it.  I just could never figure out why she is comfortable with pretending I don't exist.

This is a woman who gave me the bum's rush once when I was visiting because she had company, only the "company" was my drug addict brother and his girlfriend.
This is a woman who suggested I take a rain check when I was three blocks away and wanted to visit after not seeing her for almost 2 years.
This is a woman who cancelled an invitation to dinner, without telling me, because the class she was going to teach (7 miles from here) was cancelled.  She would make the drive to get paid, but not to visit me.  She didn't feel that I was important enough to tell me that she wasn't going to come for dinner, I found out at 10 pm when she finally decided to return my call.  And here I was worried that something had happened to her. 

So, yeah, seeing her act all 'motherly/grandmotherly' to one of my siblings is just salt in the wounds. :swear:
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 07:15:20 AM »
I know it's easy to say, but get it behind you.  She wins if you let it eat at you.  Most of us have had experiences like yours.  Take care of Michael!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 10:46:59 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 08:09:25 AM »
Awww, so sorry you have such a strained relationship with your mother.

I, too, have "parents like no others."  Now, in the twilight of their years, they don't understand why they don't have the close, loving family they see their friends share with their kids.  Well, if you didn't build it when your children were young, don't expect to enjoy it when they grow up.   Besides, even now they will set you up - act nice, get your guard down, then swoop in for the kill with some mean words or actions.

Best to just make the decision:  "Do I want this person in my life or not?"  And if not, then emotionally distance yourself from him/her, and make that a permanent thing. Easier said than done, but it's for your best emotional health.

Not that you asked for advice; I'm just speaking from experience.

I hope you are able to enjoy the holidays with what you have, and put aside longings for what you don't have.

And Happy Holidays everyone on AP!

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 08:56:30 AM »
Thanks... I don't lose sleep over it, per se, but it's one of those things that makes you feel like, 'just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water' then blam!

I had tried years ago to mend this broken family, and it's very odd to hear a mother say "We aren't a close family and we never will be".  It's hard to believe this is the woman who would buy a dress pattern with money the sperm donor gave her, just so she could return it to buy a soda and cheese crackers for us when we were kids.  It all really went downhill when she started playing house with her boss.

It's funny because I remember her saying once when I was very young that she couldn't believe my father's mom and grandma didn't talk for 12 years, that she would never be that way.  Yet, she is.

Thanks again, and remember, I live alone, now I don't even have Rocky... so I pick on you guys.. my pseudo-family.. to vent so I can just get it off my chest.  otherwise, it would get to me and I'd lose what little sleep I have these days.!!

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 11:30:26 AM »
Sometimes one's family isn't their birth family.  My birth family was screwed up too.  As I understand it our dad abandoned his wife and two young kids.  I barely remember him as I was about 5 or so when he split.  We were homeless for a while but I was so young I hardly recall the events.  I believe mom was an alcoholic and when I was about 6 or so the County stepped in put my brother and I into a home for dependent children and eventually into foster homes.  My brother and I ended up in separate foster homes.  I tried reconnecting with my mom in my young adult life but she was very aloof.  I lost complete contact with her and when I finally did receive a note from her it had no return address for me to re-establish contact.  I eventually learned she died a number of years ago in Arizona after being struck by a car.  My father is also dead and I did visit his grave site once after locating it on Google.

My brother is two years older and both he and my sister in law are somewhat aloof.  I'm the one always initiating contact.  Christmas cards from them are bland, typically signed with something similar to "with warm regards"....

The fetching Mrs. Mikey has no brothers/sisters and her parents are both deceased.  Our "real family" that shows us love, kindness, caring and support that we need are the small group of folks that attend the Messianic congregation that we attend.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 12:29:51 PM »
Sometimes I think it would have been better off if I had a shot at a different set of parents, but then again, what made me the person I am today is because of how I grew up.  (Still not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing!)  I do have my share of issues, hence why I ran away and hitchhiked cross country at 17.  It's tough when your own father has uttered "I have no children" when he has five of them.  You need a license for a dog, not kids.  Go figure.

When I was younger I was at my mother's home and my older brother had called.  I answered the phone for her and he tried to disguise his voice and said, "Is your mother there?".  I tried to talk to him, but he wanted nothing to do with me.  When I griped to her about what he said, she actually defended him and said, "well maybe he didn't know it was you".  I said, "he sure as hell knew we had the same mother!!"  Mom never was too quick on the uptake of things.

My mom cherishes her husbands kids, and always has.  I'd try to invite her out to dinner for her birthday and she would say, "I don't like going out to eat".  My step sister would come to town and my mother would boast about how my step siter took her to a nice restaurant for dinner.  I flat out told her, "don't you dare tell me how much fun it was when you told me that you don't like to go out!".  She shut up real quick after that.

But I guess the hard part is that when she needed some free artwork she would ask me to do it, then when she didn't need anymore I didn't exist.  I once created a flier and entered it in one of her quilting club competitions, and they chose my design over all the others.  When she had that show at the convention center, I was downstairs at a computer art conference.  I went upstairs and tried to visit and couldn't find her.  Her quilt group asked who I was and I said, "I'm the one who designed your logo and flier for this show".  One lady said, "oh, you must be Marty".  I said, "no, I'm Michael".  She said, "Oh.  I haven't heard of you before".  Yeah, that stung a little.

Funny thing is that as a child when she used to get beaten I would cry for her, and hated that she had to go through that.  When she left, even though she left to be with another man, I was happy for her that she got away.  Even though it meant that I became 'mr. mom' and had to take care of the three youngest and take on the brutality that she endured, I didn't care.  I never held it against her for leaving us with him.

Then at my grandmother's 95th birthday, Grandma told me that when my mother left Grandma offered to take all of us kids in to get us away from our abusive father and my mother didn't want to do that.  She wanted her apartment so she could have her affair - her boss/boyfriend was married at the time with three kids close to my age.  Kinda changed how I felt about her when I realized that her new family was more important than her own family.

I guess this is one reason I really hate the holidays..

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 06:13:08 PM »
Isn't it amazing - and a blessed thing - that so many of us who spent childhoods in disfunctional families
grew up to be normal, well-adjusted human beings, capable of showing love to other people, free of excessive anger, and able to control emotions, hold jobs, nuture meaningful relationships, and raise healthy children?! 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 06:15:19 PM »
Michael, don't think that because the rest of us don't freely talk about a horror story, that we don't have them. Yes, I have one but was fortunate the bad part stopped somewhere along the line and amends were made. But oddly enough, the effects still remain and have left scars that will always be there. My parents are both deceased and I have no siblings. I no longer have anyone I can reach out to about that side of the family. It's up to me to build a bridge and get over it.

4 years ago after a bunch of squabbling by my kids and stepkids about when to come here for Christmas, I suggested we have it on New Year's Day so it would leave Christmas Eve and day totally free for them to have their own little family Christmas or go to their other side and not have to worry about ours. So guess what, two of them don't remember it being decided on and one had made plans for that day. Two have children who live in other households and that weekend is not the one that they "get the kids". So I'm a little miffed about that. But decided to let the mif go and have a good time on the 8th. In fact instead of having a brunch, I'm cooking a wingding of a meal. Spent $55 for a standing rib roast....Sure hope it turns out OK.

I'm glad you have us to vent to when you need it. I'm glad I can vent to you too. At least we won't run into each other the next day and have to explain again "how things are going". We can tell things here and pretty much know it won't get back to our friends and family. Can't do that on Facebook. LOL.

I hope by now you are feeling better. I, like you suspect your relationship will never be the way you'd like but you never know, I got an appology after 30-35 years. 

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 06:46:57 PM »
Michael...we all have things we'd rather forget

:D  @Esther...I only have two "kids" and I can barely get them to settle on a day to get together.

Sometimes, I think disfunctional is the norm  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 06:49:01 PM by SueSTx »

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 10:19:16 PM »
Even the First Family was dysfunctional......  I'm of course speaking of Adam's family, not Obama's  lol  Envy caused one brother to kill another....

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 10:55:19 PM »
I think as parents, we all want our kids to have an easier (less manual labor) time making a living for their family...and also being a little less dysfunctional  {:-P;;

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"