Author Topic: I think I'm done with this house and this neighborhood  (Read 1489 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I think I'm done with this house and this neighborhood
« on: March 06, 2012, 07:30:10 PM »
I'm so sick of the speeders and general jackasses in this neighborhood, I don't even want to live in this house anymore.  Our street is 25mph, they refuse to put in a speed bump, and people fly down this street at 45+.  I was slowing down to turn left into my driveway, and some jackass swings around me on my left to pass me at about 40.  I honked at him and he flipped me off, then he stops and wants to fight me.  I asked him why he felt that was necessary to speed down my street and he says, "everyone else does".  I asked him, "so that makes it right???".   Then he does a hitler pose with his hand in the air.  Great, so the jerk is a white supremist, too.

I'm so tired of everything lately I think I'm just going to short sell it or maybe even just walk away completely.  This economy sucks, and there's no reason for me to keep dumping money into this damn house.

end of rant.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I think I'm done with this house and this neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 06:00:33 AM »
Oh my, we have the speeders here, too.  Our blocks are very short (4 houses), and it's amazing how fast they can get going between stop signs two blocks apart.  They pay no attention to pedestrians, lawn workers, or people backing out of their driveways or opening a door to get out of their car.  Whip around corners with no concern for what might be on the other side.  Oh, and did I mention talking or texting at the same time? 

Some streets here got speed humps, and they help, but they're a pain to drive over.

The only solution for slowing these jerks is age and maturity. 

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:20:45 AM »
The only solution for slowing these jerks is age and maturity. 

I think that ship has sailed with some of these people.  We contacted the city about a speed bump, and they told us that it's a main thoroughfare for emergency vehicles so the only way they would install a speed bump is if a child gets hit by a car and killed.  Don't you just love bureaucracy?  They are willing to put a speed bump, but it has to be for extreme reasons, and at that point the emergency vehicles will have to deal with it.

My best friend lives on a cul de sac... I used to, and wish I did now.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 02:52:52 PM »
Sorry you have turkeys driving fast through your neighborhood.  I live on a cul de sac and that hasn't prevented those with the need to speed to race down my short street. 

When the young kids played outdoors all their stay at home moms sitting nearby would slow speeders down by waving and yelling at them. We even have signs we the city to put up.  Clearly the dummies who speed can't read or understand the speed limit.

Offline just.me

• Members
  • With us since: 22/11/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 06:54:09 PM »
Cul de sac, good.  Interior lot better, best.  If they have them where you live or you're looking to move.  Only one great neighbor here and we don't know what's going on down on the street.
But the jackasses are everywhere speed bumps or not.  I'd be ripping too.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:52:23 AM »
Michael, are you just ranting, or are you really thinking of moving? 

Sure, the neighborhood is a factor.  But I'm wondering if Rocky's absence has something to do with your feelings of not wanting to be in space any more.

Just throwing that out there. 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:34:10 AM »
Yup, unfortunately a lot of folks don't follow the rules and it drives those of us who do, nuts. Then on top of that, we don't have any power in the situation and the ones in power don't seem to care. I guess it's like any situation that we don't control, we do what we can and if we can't, we have to choose whether to continue chewing on it and expending our energy on something we can't do anything about or LET IT GO and move on.

No matter where we live, there's gonna be somebody whose gonna bug you. Unless you get a cave on a mountain top somewhere. By the way, this lecture has been used already a few times on my sons who were struggling with work situations. One was grousing about a boss who was tough on everybody and had a pretty mean mouth on her. Others in his department were quitting right and left and he was thinking about quitting. I asked him if she treated everyone that way or was it just him. Of course he said everyone. So I pointed out that it was her way of being and he was used to dealing with a bossy woman----me---and to hang in there. Eventually, they became friends and he went to her wedding and she transferred out of the department. So he won in the end.

My other son works his butt off at his job but has a problem watching his fellow workers who do their best to avoid work and what they do is half done. He is constantly ranting about them and talking about quitting. But he is not the boss and has no say. Again I tell him to do his best and what is right and let their superiors deal with the lazy slobs. I found out the other day that he is at the top of his pay scale and has gotten so many monetary favors by the bosses that the people above his boss are yelling at the boss because of it. So I asked him if the others get these extra favors and he said he didn't think so. I again told him to get his eyes off the other guy and continue doing what was right and save his energy for something fun.

We have to learn in life where our power lies and where our  place is in each situation..
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:46:50 AM by Esther »

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »
Take it to the media. The best way to force the hand of Bureaucrats is to let the general population know where they stand on the issues.

Trust me, it works!

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:50:43 AM »
I know what you're saying, Julles, and that has a little to do with it, but it's not the complete story.  I am ranting, but there are a lot of other things going on around here that I won't waste anyone's time by going into detail.  I sometimes feel like I'm staying here for the same reason I stayed at the last company I worked for: convenience.  There are good and bad about being here, but most of it is bad. 

Most of the families that had kids moved away because of the speeders.  There are a few left, and it's scary how people drive down this street.  The media around here wouldn't care, sadly, because we aren't news worthy - unless something tragic happens.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »
Your housing tract is newer and I'm guessing the home owners are fairly young.  Older neighborhoods such has mine have a lot of old fogies like me who will organize with neighbors and present complaints to our council representative.  Council members usually take immediate action when a dozen or more neighbors descend on them with a complaint.  We use to have a speeding problem from students taking a short cut down our street in order to get to school on time.  Every school day at 7:55am we had the speeders avoiding the clogged main thoroughfare to take a short cut down our street.  We organized, complained and soon radar signs were posted and a motor officer was assigned.  The motor officer worked the problem for a week or two and pretty soon the students passed the word around and not only did the speeders go away but the 7:55am traffic was noticeably light.  Only an occasional speeder these days.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"