Author Topic: Abe Lincoln  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Abe Lincoln
« on: April 09, 2012, 03:46:14 PM »
I might have mentioned some time ago that my uncle Gerald Bestrom spent the last 25 years of his life portraying Abe Lincoln. He traveled across the nation, mostly south, in an old small motor home painted to look like a log cabin. He worked in schools, churches, retirement homes and historical/political events. He also played the saw and sang at times. Here around Grand Rapids, my mom's sister in law who was a wonderful organist and pianist, accompanied him at times. Here is a link to one of his performances. He passed away last week. Oh and recently he was in the movie The Conspirator by Robert Redford. He was 75

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCaq3h1DuPQ&feature=share   

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Abe Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:42:04 PM »
he was good, darn good!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 05:13:57 PM »
Esther,
That was great, Thanks

Do you happen to have a picture of that motor home/log cabin?
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 08:37:16 PM »
Hmmm, I could look on the internet for a picture of it. He was traveling several years ago and somebody set it on fire. People are so stupid.

I never saw the movie but heard that his part was very small.

My grandpa and grandma were passed by the time Gerald started doing his Abe thing. They would never have approved of him being an "actor". But the few times I saw him perform, he did a wonderful job. He especially loved interacting with the children and teaching them  the history of our country.

They said that at the end, he was having some deep emotional problems and in somewhere along the line, had been booked for a presentation. His twin wondered if he'd be able to pull it off and said if was like watching somebody different step into Abe's clothes. He did the presentation just as good as ever and by the time he got in the car, he didn't speak all the way home.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:28:39 PM »
I looked on the internet and found nothing about the motor home. That was several years ago. He wasn't married and his grown kids all live in Florida. So whether  there are pictures somewhere of it I don't know.  He was only about 5.5 years older than me and we lived on the same farm. But after we grew up, I didn't know him much and after he was divorced and began traveling as Abe, he didn't come to family things. I would hear that he did a program here or there and that's about all.

When my dad had been run over by the truck, Gerald came to the hospital to see him and I happened to be going down the hall as he approached the room. He had on his makeup and hat but not the "frock" coat. Still though you couldn't miss who he was supposed to be. The nurses were all "buzz, buzz" about it and people were coming out of the rooms to look. He stayed in the Abe person whenever he went in public.

His twin brother doesn't look anything like him. They might not have even looked like brothers, let alone family members. His twin tends more to the shorter, chunky, with dark hair. Gerald had light hair and was tall and skinny, although not as tall as the real Abe. He died his hair for years and had fake moles made. I don't think he had a very happy life. He traveled a lot and lived in the motor home when he was away from his home in Michigan.

Just found this link to when he was in Grand Rapids and The Conspirator was "opening" locally.   http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/05/abraham_lincoln_actor_from_rob.html#comments
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:36:57 PM by Esther »

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »
Wow Esther, that was cool. So sorry for your loss.
Kathy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"