Author Topic: How would you cinch a chain? - Got a new idea!  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How would you cinch a chain? - Got a new idea!
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »
I have shelving that was built into the side of my mini van.  Over the years, the bolts that held it to the side of the van have broken.  This leaves the whole metal unit swaying from side to side and also front to back, and it bangs against the walls of the van.

The last time I fixed it, I used ropes on pullies that could be ciched tight and then locked down.  But in less than a year they rubbed through, by rubbing against the metal shelf, and broke.

Now I'm thinking of using chain, but I can't figure out how to pull it really tight.  there are holes on the inside frame work of the van that I can stick an "S" hook or a "J" hook into, and then I can wrap the chain around the metal legs of the shelf.  But I can't figure out how to pull the chain tight enough against the van wall and secure it that the heavy metal unit won't rock back and forth.

Any ideas?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:41:05 AM by Julles »

Offline jimr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/07/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How would you cinch a chain?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 09:50:30 AM »
Best way I know of is to use a turnbuckle

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
 {:-P;;   ...yep...that is what I ment

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:07:11 AM »

Wonnerful!!! perfect!  I had not known of those, but I can see they would work perfectly!!!  I hope they lock tightly, but it looks like a wrench will easily tighten them up if need be.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:29:31 PM »
And keep in mind, the hook end is threaded opposite the loop end, so when you tighten it, it pulls both ends together.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 05:49:18 AM »
that's exactly what I need.  Didn't get to the store yesterday, but I'm excited now, becaue I know this will solve my problem.  No more shifting and banging shelves.   :)

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: How would you cinch a chain? - Got a new idea!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 05:44:10 AM »
While I was at Home Depot looking at chain and incidentals, I also needed to buy something to keep my trash can locked, to keep street people from digging in it.

In the same department is something called wire rope, which I think will work even better than the chain for cinching down my shelves in the van, because it does not have bulk and 3-dimentional qualities of the chain.  And I think I will be able to use the existing pully and lock mechanism that came with the rope cinch kit. 

There is even plastic-coated wire rope, which hopefully will be easier on the paint finish of the shelves. 

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 01:07:26 PM »
This might be too little too late, but sometimes if you post pics of the situation you're in and describe what you want to achieve it would be easier to make a suggestion. Not that I always have the best suggestions, but sometimes I can come up with a pretty good solution if I know what I'm working with. I might even suggest that you look at ratcheting tie-downs like they use for motorcyles, but I don't know what you're up against for this.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 06:22:02 AM »
I know, I know.... but I don't have a camera, nor do I know how to post pics.

But I have learned a lot here, and think I'm ready to proceed.  And it is somewhat similar to the motorcycle tie-down.

Thanks, all.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"