Author Topic: Floridians, Is it as bad as the news makes it to be?  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Floridians, Is it as bad as the news makes it to be?
« on: February 02, 2007, 07:43:44 AM »
We hope you are okay.
Living in a state (CA) that has it's share of disasters we know that the news reports can make things look a lot worse than they are.  We hope that is the case in Florida.

Tell us how you are.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Floridians, Is it as bad as the news makes it to be?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 08:51:48 AM »
Gosh me too. I have spent a few hours watching the news it looks awful. We had over 2 inches of rain and wind last night but I think ours is over. Sure hope you guys in that area are ok.

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:18:14 AM »
Well I live in Northern Florida, So it was not as bad for us, We had Tornado watches and our power went out several times last night (came back on around midnight) Lots of water dumped on us in a short period. To the South it looks as though a tornado touched down and as many as 14 people were killed 7 confirmed evidently. Craig lives down in that area I hope he is Okay. Andy :-\
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 10:50:09 AM by El Jefe »
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 10:28:01 AM »
Nothing here but a little rain....I'm in southwest FL.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 10:56:33 AM »
I Heard from a cousin in Palm City, she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 05:14:15 PM »
The Villages was hit and we have friends living there. I emailed them but haven't heard. Then we know a couple and a widow lady who winters in Lady Lake. I tried to call a relative and noone was home. There is a JBer who lives near DeLand and we haven't seen her on the forum or been able to talk to her either.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 06:10:02 PM »
My wife and I live north of The Villages. We only had a few small branches down here. They had found fourteen dead in The Villages and Lady Lake. They were informing people that no one was allowed in Lady Lake this morning. There was a mobile home park in Lady Lake destroyed and a small community in The Villages where houses were either destroyed or had the roof blown off. Today at noon, they weren't confirming that it was a tornado but I know that straight line winds don't do that much damage.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 07:03:55 PM »
Yes, it IS as bad as they said.  My step mother lives in Ladylake, and one of the fatalities was just down the street from her.  My SM's mobile home is still intact, but the Florida room was ripped off as was the carport, the car dinged up, skirting ripped off and siding gone from 2 sides of the house.  But she is fine, although very shaken up.  There were 3 large trees beside her home that were ripped from the ground and they flew in the opposite direction of the house, and didn't land on anything but an  empty lot.  Many homes were leveled, not just mobile homes, and that stinkin' tornado hit at around 3:00 a.m.,,,NOT a good time for a horrible storm like that.   :(
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 06:17:08 AM »
I'm glad your step mother is ok. Things can be replaced. We live in the middle of tornado alley and they still scare the heck out of me. I'm a nervous wreck until tornado season is over every year.

GAJen

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 12:58:25 PM »
Last I heard death toll was over 20.  :'(

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 01:09:35 PM »
We have since learned that all our friends are OK. The JBer had several large trees go down but otherwise they are OK>

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"