Author Topic: Road runner  (Read 907 times)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Road runner
« on: June 04, 2012, 12:22:32 PM »
We have a couple of resident road runners this summer. 

One was around occasionally last summer also.  They have built a nest on top of my window AC unit.  I do see one bird in the nest occasionally, but they have not laid any eggs even though they started the nest before  Easter.  I put the box, rock and ribbon there trying to discourage them.  I'd even knock the twigs off several times a day.  I finally gave up.

Hubby really enjoys watching all the little critters.  The RR 'climbs' trees and will really 'cuss' you out if he thinks you are bothering him.

Today the RR brought his 'lunch' to the storm door to show me.  It was a tiny baby ground squirrel about as big as my little finger.  Hubby said he saw many adults scampering around when he was mowing.  They also eat lizards, snakes, mice and other birds. 

This adult seems to enjoy eating all the white petunias down to the roots.  I finally moved the pot so he couldn't reach the flowers.  He doesn't bother the red ones.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Road runner
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:06:53 PM »
Beep-beep........
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 05:55:38 PM »
I think ACME sells an anti bird nest on the air conditioner crate. Not sure if it works though.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 06:46:49 PM »
Thanks for the pics and the info Sue, I've never seen a road runner before and since we don't have them here, don't know anything about them.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 08:36:18 PM »
Very Cool!  I like watching the wildlife that comes through my garden too.  Exceptions - rats! 

Funny, Reddad!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"