Author Topic: started the process of shopping for a house - NOW A DONE DEAL  (Read 6243 times)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: started the process of shopping for a house - NOW A DONE DEAL
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2007, 05:55:33 PM »
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
Years ago when we decided to buy our first house, we made an offer on the first house we looked at, that very night, lived there 14 years, no regrets whatsoever.  New houses are so exciting!
Karen

Offline Krista

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2007, 07:14:57 PM »
Congratulations Bart!! That's wonderful news! When is your possesssion date?
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2007, 06:12:26 AM »
Congratulations!  @O@

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2007, 07:23:29 AM »
Welcome and congratulations
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2007, 07:55:45 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS, BART! @O@

I know this has been a long, agonizing voyage for you! I remember not sleeping much either during the househunting process.

When do you move in? I'll pack a virtual moving box or two for you. ;)
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2007, 09:03:32 AM »
Thanks everyone!  Today has been much calmer.  I managed to sleep last night!

This is the house

I know for some of you that price will seem to be very low, especially if you're used to the crazy house prices in the big cities.  It's all relative though.  In Calgary this one would be 250K or more.  Where I live we consider the prices to be out of line.  Swift Current has less houses for sale than there are agents!  It is a hot market, but a stupid one since the population isn't growing.  Everyone is just moving around or just moving out of the city.  Most of the houses for sale here now are from people who left.  So it shouldn't be much of a market, but it is.  There is no immediate relief in sight and it is a gamble to wait and see.  Last year at this time there were 100 houses for sale and now less than 50.  My price range had about 10 and of those I looked at about half and could eliminate the other half just based on location and what I know about Swift Current.  It's a small enough place that my loans officer son played with the son of the people who currently own this house.

Had I not acted immediately this house would have sold today.  Another viewing was scheduled for a guy who had already looked at it before.  Usually a second go indicates serious consideration.

I'd say, as it stands, it is 65% of what I'd want in a house.  With renovations over time it can be 95% there.  Even building a new house I don't think I would get much closer to 100% so this one is something I can move into now and not feel I have to start ripping down walls to fix things.  And, when it comes down to ripping things out the basement is quite open so taking thing down is a lot easier.  Yet, for the time being, the basement is totally usable as a rec room.

All in all, I think this one was meant to be.  The timing was just about perfect on many levels.  Buyer's regret will set in I'm sure of that.  I expect the first year to be rough since I will be adapting to a new budget and a new lifestyle.  All will be major life changes some of which scare the hell out of me and some of which I am looking forward to.

I get the house at noon on March 30.  I gave the existing owners as long as they wanted within reason as part of my offer.  They were happy to have that kind of time since they are moving out of the city and their new condo isn't going to be ready until mid March.  I also didn't really feel like moving in the middle of winter.

Bonus things, that I hadn't noticed on the listing or that weren't on the paper to notice is a partially plumbed in downstairs bathroom and central A/C.

I won't be making any major changes for at least a year.  That doesn't include the paining and window treatments.  I feel compelled to paint so I can put my stamp on it immediately and not feel like I am a guest in someone else's house and because most of the window coverings are not staying (and frankly I didn't want them anyway).  This is an easy way to mark my territory and less gross than peeing on walls!

Now, the hard part is waiting for the inspection.  I can't think of many things that might be a problem, but I am not the expert.  I didn't see foundation cracks or evidence of water damage on the basement walls and that is 95% of my fear when looking at these houses.

I'm also adding up just the immediate expenses for all the legal work and if anything that makes me more sick than the idea of buying the house in the first place.  Everyone wants a piece of the pie it seems!

Bart

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:12:18 PM by Bartman »

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2007, 12:21:41 PM »
Congratulations Bart, this one is much better than the one by the train tracks. Looks like a cute little house.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2007, 06:16:01 PM »
I like it, and it sounds like a better location than the cinderblock house (it's cuter, too). Nice flat, sunny backyard - will there be a pond in your near future?
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2007, 06:58:19 PM »
Congratulations Bart.  I like the looks of your new home.  Looks like a well treed neighbourhood, you'll appreciate that when summer comes.  Hope you'll be very happy there.  Your closing date gives you lots of time to organize and pack your things and more than enough time to second guess yourself.....   :-\   When we moved into our home a couple of months after signing on the dotted line I seriously wondered if it was the same house I had looked at.  Nothing was as I had remembered it, not even the placement of the rooms!  Was quite a revelation to see the yard without snow too.  Oh well, 16 years later we're still happy with our choice.

We stayed in little motel in Swift Current last summer.  Think it was on 9th ave. near an old cemetery.  Had a funny name, something like Easy Rest, or Sleep Well or something along those lines.  Meticulously clean, recently renovated and very cheap.  Was more than 30* C that day, we were just cooking in our little car with no air conditioning.  We were more than glad to stop.  I ramble.  So glad you've found your home.  emm

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2007, 09:07:59 PM »
Definitely a nice little house Bart. I'm sure you will be happy with it. You can't even get a home like that in the suburbs of Vancouver for less than half a million dollars right now and prices aren't coming down yet either. It's crazy!
Good time to move in just in time to get the gardens started before summer.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2007, 02:44:01 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I'm not sure what motel you would have stayed in Emm.  Most are along the highway and a few are near one of the graveyards.

As for the questions about a pond.  Well, I do want to have a Japanese Garden at some point so I'll probably be considering a pond at that time.  I guess it will be a few years of plain grass for now.  I'll want to research Japanese Gardens then see what I can fit in the area and then decide on a building plan.  I do NOT want any pond with a submersible pump now that I have the place to put years of learning to use, but even that will require a lot of thinking on my part.

I've kept busy today just working on hobbies, but my mind has been planning almost every minute.  Now would be a good time to win about 100K so I could just deal with renovations right away!

Bart

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2007, 03:22:07 PM »
Congrats!  That's a lovely house Bart and it's got a blank slate for a yard.  You'll have a great time there!  And I'm so happy for you that you found something and found it so quickly!!!  Now all we have to do is get you thru the closing and into the house!!!!  Let me know when the housewarming party is and I'll be your first houseguest!!!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2007, 05:04:33 PM »
OHHHH I like it. Bart, you did good I think.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2007, 08:43:55 AM »
My best advice now that you've bought the house is to paint before you move it. We didn't and because of the pain in the rear of furniture moving we didn't paint for many years. We should have ponied up and refinished the hardwood floors too. It is so much easier to do such things when you aren't living in the house.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2007, 09:05:07 AM »
Congratulations Bart! It's sweet house with so much room for gardening..  O0

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2007, 09:13:41 AM »
unaffordable for the average person and the second... junk.

So, I will need to find which junk house is the lesser of junk houses and learn to be happy with it.

I'm pretty much in the same boat here. There is virtually nothing to buy. We have also been told to wait just a little bit as the market is starting to cool but I'm not sure its going to.

Congratulations on your new house. I hope you enjoy it. :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2007, 11:20:59 AM »
I like, I like.
As others have said, lovely garden to start playing with, and definite curb appeal.

I don't think you will regret this one.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2007, 01:11:39 PM »
Well, one step closer.  The inspection is tomorrow.  I'm told the current owners are worried about it.  That concerns me, but they probably are more just nervous than worried since it is an out for me and means they will still be waiting for a buyer. They've lived there for almost 30 years so if it is falling apart around them I don't think they would have stayed there this long.

I like that the back yard has some room, but isn't overwhelming in size.  Compared to landscaping at the farm this would be a breeze!  Everyone bring a shovel and we'll get through it in one weekend!

Paint is happening before I move in for sure.  I don't have a lot of furniture to move, but I don't want to have to move it again to paint.  Besides, I don't want every wall painted white like they are now and I don't want to see where every picture they had hanging on the wall was.  I'd also like to take that time to fix any little holes in the walls or other little problems on the walls now and not later.

Assuming no inspection problems that need fixing right away that will be the extent of doing anything for at least a year.

Bart

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2007, 01:44:27 PM »
Any time you've lived in a house for even ten years, the inspection report will be long.  Just remember that the inspector is paid to find everything that might be wrong or go wrong or doesn't meet code.  Not everything on his report will need to be fixed or brought up to code.  If he's worth his salt, he'll give you a pretty close guestimate as to costs.  Now if he also owns a repair and maintenance business, fire him and find someone else!!! 

Good luck!

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2007, 05:56:52 PM »
This inspector is actually for another city!  This town is so small that it is tough to find someone who isn't biased.  Having someone in from Regina should give an accurate report.  I'm not really looking forward to it though as I know very little in these areas.  I'm taking along my father for a second set of eyes.

Bart

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2007, 06:05:13 PM »
Congratulations Bart, I'm really pleased for you! Hope all goes well with the report.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2007, 06:05:51 PM »
Bart don't worry too much about the inspection . . . it will show a lot of things that should/could be fixed someday and a thing or two that must be fixed now.  Once you get the report, you use is as a negotiation tool.  You pick and choose what you want to insist be fixed or paid for and then you send that list to the seller.  They either accept it or not . . . and you decide how much each item means to you.  The inspector's job is to point out EVERYTHING that might be wrong, not necessarily to advise you as to what really should be fixed and what is minor.  Remember that the seller wants to sell and right now, you want to buy.  Then deal with the report accordingly.

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2007, 02:06:13 AM »
That's so cute Bart! And great yard too!

Inspection wasn't a big deal for us. Our new place is 11 years old.. and the only thing he found? too big a wire to the A/C unit and the furnice needs cleaning.. oh and  a little too much moisture beside one toilet (a seal) and in front of the shower in the ensuite (again a seal) .. that's basically it!  We also discovered it is already wired for an alarm if we decide to go that route. We do have 6 cops living within 1.5 blocks though...lol.  I'm wishing we closed earlier than we did.. it's giving me insomnia thinking about all I need to do and what order I need to do it in.
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2007, 05:04:38 PM »
Hey Bart,
Haven't been around for a while, but the house looks great!!!
Only think about you. It seems that if your going to hang around that neck of the woods for a bit, you should buy what you can afford. forget about a roomate. they suck big time. It's that compromise thing. You know, kind of like Marriage. ouch!!!!!!!
I'm really glad that you are looking and finding something that fits you.

The very best to you in finding the right home to plunk down in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2007, 08:30:27 PM »
Inspection is done.  That was a longer process than I suspected, but well worth it.  He was very detailed and I have a nice binder now with all the things that are wrong.  There is nothing that I *must* do, but a number of suggestions which I was glad to get.  The highlights:

* downspouts need to be re-located to make use of the slope from front to back (I suspected this) on the house and garage.
* venting for the bathroom and kitchen range (kitchen only has a recirulating one).
* ground the house (apparently in all these years with the various things they have had done no electrican has put a ground strap on the water pipe).
* rip up the side walks on the side of the house and fill underneath and re-pour (they were sinking in - saw that and figured it should be changed).
* remove the pine tree that could fall on any of three structures around it (two of which would be my structures).
* add some chaulking here and there.
* raise the railings on the front step to make them in line with the new regulations.
* shield some wiring that is only cable not not conduit.
* replace main breaker (fits loose in socket so all power goes out if you remove the cover).

Nice things:

* attic has been upgraded to about a R43 for insulation.  Most of the basement is insulated (according to home owner, it is all under wood panelling so we'll just assume this is true).
* high effiency furnace in excellent shape.
* rafters on 16" centres.
* inspector told that that house is in generally good shape and not to run away from it screaming!

The bathroom, though, will need some work.

* The tub/shower is not usable as a shower.
* Toilet seal leaks and there is mold in that area.
* Vanity is about 40" wide with a 9" sink (not something that gets inspected, but I noticed I can't even get my hands in the sink!)

I've decided to spend the money now and get a new tub and vanity.  Have it properly plumbed for a shower and tile the shower and floor.  Easier to do it now and with any luck fairly cheap since my dad's cousin is a plumber and I can probably get all hardware and what not at wholesale prices and a discount on the labor (if not free) since my father helped him plumb a house last year so he owes him!

It just isn't practical for me to not have a shower.  This would be nothing fancy for a bathroom, but at least more usable.  I'd like to try and see if I can get some contractors in for some quotes on the rest of it so I can have the work started the second it is mine.

Some relief in my mind now that I don't need to try and get things done by the current owners and nothing is drastically wrong with the place.  I hope my stress level can return to it's normal high end and not extreme high!  My acid reflux problems have been working overtime the last 10 days as it is.

Bart

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2007, 08:43:08 PM »
Steve - I was hoping I would luck out and get a roommate like one of my friends has.  Works nights so they never see each other.  Even a roommate for 5 years knocks just about 5 years of the mortgage.  I won't do it right away, but may have to consider it since I just have one income to live on and continue with renos and repairs.  On the other hand, maybe I'll get a big fat raise at work  lol  (haven't see anything beyond the sporatic "cost of living" increases in about 10 years) and that could cut out the roommate.

I might also get lonely so having anyone around would be a benefit.

Bart

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2007, 10:10:28 PM »
Hey Bart,
Everything sounds great to me. Nothing major, just things to deal with.

Good luck  and getrdone,
A little less time to go fishing,

so, when am I comming up to visit? :)

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2007, 05:58:02 AM »
Well, I get possession Mar 30 and with the remodeling of the bathroom and painting I supect you can come for a visit the end of April.  That would be right about the middle of spring pond start up I suspect (at least for you, it waits until May most years here).

Bart

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2007, 08:00:57 AM »
Congratulations, Bart!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2007, 08:01:54 AM »
Well I'm so happy to hear there were no big (bad) surprises!!!  Congrats and good luck with your new house!!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"