Author Topic: blue koi  (Read 1643 times)

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
blue koi
« on: July 01, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »
I recently bought a 3-4 inch blue koi from the pond store. I had had one last summer that grew to a really nice size in one season, but of course the heron took it in May.  My question is - do all koi have whiskers (barbells), because I cannot see them on this blue koi. It's such a pretty color - mostly a light blue with some white on the head and a thin yellow stripe on both sides down near the belly.  The face is also more rounded downward than all my other koi that I got from the same store. I didn't notice when I bought it, but only this past week now that it's gotten more comfortable in the pond and surfacing more.  Too fast to get a picture to post though.

Any ideas?

Offline Lynda

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: blue koi
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »
All koi have barbels, so my guess is that your blue fish is a goldfish.

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:14:51 PM »
Blues are pretty. I have never seen a blue goldfish, only koi. It can sometimes be hard to see the barbels on a 3" koi. Is it blue shusui ("zipper" down the spine; smooth, scaleless but may have large shiny dragon around dorsal line)?  I have an 20" blue shusui -- as they get bigger the blue gets paler. Another kind of blue koi is asagi -- the back has a blue netting. Both of these are "supposed" to have red/orange on flank. I've also seen a dark steel blue on kikokuryu (I have a 30" blue and white one.)

BTW, a shusui with yellow intead of red is known a a ki shusui.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 03:19:04 AM »
Thanks for the great info, Thornygardener!  I'd love to see some pictures of your blue fish - I can't imagine mine getting that large - the heron unfortunately usually takes them before they reach even 10 inches.

I was also thinking that I haven't heard of a blue goldfish, but wanted to hear from those more experienced than I.  It doesn't have any netting, and I'm not sure it has a zipper down the back. If it does, it's not very pronounced. I am going to have to take a good look once I can focus more clearly this morning.  It's still new to the pond and a bit skitterish, and swims away very quickly before I can get a close look or picture.

The shape of the head definitely resembles pictures I've googled of the shusui. Which is different - more sloped - than my other koi.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
All koi have barbels--but, as others have said in a small fish they can be hard to see--I'd put it in a glass jug or jar and look for the barbels and in young fish both koi and goldfish black can look like its blue so--it could go either way--even Asagi are not truely blue--its the fact that they have a layer of white sitting over the black  that makes the fish appear to be blue...here is a pic of my Asagi...One fish-Two fish--every pond needs a blue fish  @O@.....

and a pic of four asagi babies-

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:20:51 PM by tranquility »
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 04:35:48 PM »
Those are BEAUTIFUL fish, Tranquility!!!

My fish definitely has the zipper down the back and is smoother looking.  I do know that they are not really blue, but the ones I have chosen definitely LOOK blue - a really pretty medium blue on 2, and a pale blue with darker spots on another.

I tried taking some video of them yesterday, but my desktop computer is acting up so I can't upload them just yet. Hopefully sometime soon.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
Yep that sounds like a Shusui....beautiful fish-the only problem with them is that the older they get alot of times they will loose the blue look and the zipper will become blacker looking....but, hoping the best for yours---that they retain the blue color....whether they do or don't they will still be very special to you....Ginger is way past her prime but, I still love her to bits...
Lawanna

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 08:40:16 PM »
What is considered past her prime? I've only been at this a few years, and the damn heron hasn't let me have any fish for too long.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 08:29:38 AM »
Although koi can live for 20+ years... Asagi can loose a scale and chances are that scale will come back mis-colored...And she has lost many scales in her life due to her being so prone to ulcers and breeding....she also has develope a tumor in the last few years....For the most part koi hit thier prime somewhere around 5ish and some hold it alot longer than others....when I say prime I mean they look the very best they will ever look....
Lawanna

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 06:26:23 PM »
Finally saw tiny barbels on the new blue koi! O0 It moves so fast it's hard to see them at all, but they are definitely there.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"