Author Topic: Ponding Complications  (Read 1720 times)

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ponding Complications
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:28:14 PM »
What a hobby we share! We spend hours looking through web sites and books to learn more about our passion, we spend dollar after dollar for something new and different. We fight off insects and and critters. We treat numerous diseases, though we are not doctors. We deal with leaks, busted pipes, and water left on in a pond too long. The list goes on. And we still hang tough!  :)

Today I got hit with two of our nemesis. Saw a blue heron (first one ever at my ponds) next to my bog pond this morning. The bog only has mosquito fish, but I checked my big ponds. There were no missing fish that I could tell, but I moved my concrete alligator more to the center of my ponds to hopefully scare it away. I also moved more of my bigger plants from out of the greenhouse and put them into the ponds to cover the water even more. I am thinking that, not only will it give the fish more cover to hide in, it will also make it more difficult for the heron to get to them. Since this is the first time I have seen a heron, maybe it will find another place to take up residency.

When moving the plants around in the upper pond I noticed a head and feet with claws between a couple of pots. A snapping turtle of possibly considerable size has taken up residency there! The head was about 2 inches square, so the body is going to be fairly large. I could not catch it at the time, but will continue to watch for it and hopefully will be able to catch it when I see it again.
 Hanging tough, here!  ;D

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Ponding Complications
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:01:03 PM »
T'would not want to be walking around in that pond, nor rooting around in the plants, with snapper in residence.  Best of luck with him, andwith the heron.

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:52 AM »
be very careful with the snapper they can reach further than you realize and you DON"T want to get bit .

Offline matherfish

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »
 ;D I will definitely be watchful for the snapping turtle. I have dealt with them before. Thanks for the reminder, however.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:37:40 AM »
Yeah we have a passion for hard grueling work all for a few minutes of enjoying the fruit of our labor.  I wouldn't like surprises like a snapping turtle though! Yikes!

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:44:16 PM »
I saw the turtle this afternoon, but could not net it. It was about 18" under water between lily pots. No sightings of the heron today, however! Hurrah! :)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »
We lost several large koi to a snapper. It would practically bite them in two. You better watch your toes and fingers!

Offline Pam

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Baby Doll lotus
  • With us since: 15/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »
Good luck with fighting off the heron and snapper. Not sure which one is more of a threat to your fishes though, it sounds like they are equally damaging.
Pam

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
I caught the turtle. See the new thread. Also, the heron has not been back. :)

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 10:45:10 AM »
It's a moot point now that you've caught the turtle, but I used to have six mud bottom ponds at my old place and snapping turtles in one of them, and sometimes they would go to other ponds.   Many times I have accidentally stepped on one.  I moved my foot quickly....but never had one try to bite me like that.

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
Hi Marilyn. My concern was not for him biting me, but for him tearing up my lilies, and eating my fish.
On a more somber note, the green heron is back. Guess I will have to deal with it after all. I can't use nets, so will be trying other things.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:45:45 PM by matherfish »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"