Author Topic: Blue Lily  (Read 4807 times)

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Re: Blue Lily
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 05:22:58 PM »
Sounds good my friend, That would be appreciated.

I should probably contact him myself sometime as well. I think I last spoke to him 2 years ago. It's easy to loose touch.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 10:50:43 PM »
Thank you Craig, I think I shall now cry :'( It would be a for sure kill if I were to try tropicals here in our cold winters. I'll have to look for maybe a blue mini Lotis. I'm getting the momo botan this year but really wanted some blue?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 11:15:49 PM »
The problem with N. capensis is that the name has become a dumping ground for any blue lily with green pads.  Even in Timgod's picture, if color correct, the inner sepals in the species description are not white and the flower shape should be stellate.

Color is spot on. I use digital cameras and verify color against specimen. I also check white balance before snapping to keep color temp from affecting the outcome. I got that lily from Mike and Rolf at Nelson's. Mike assured me that it was N. capensis. He knew I was trying to get a few species and that is the one I got along with N. ampla. Mike was one of the judges at last years lily competition in which you took the top honors. I have great confidence in his and Rolf's judgement. It is from a line he has been using to propagate and hybridize from occassionally himself.
What are your thoughts please???

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline andrew davis

• Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2007, 11:31:48 PM »
Just as there are no blue hardy waterlilies, there are no blue lotus either.

Among the tropical waterlily, many are very easy to winter indoors at room temperature.

If you can find space in a well lit window for a bucket of water or a one gallon bowl of water, it is very easy to Winter viviparous starts, or small pots of tropical waterlilies, either in a well lit window or with a couple of strip lights a few inches over them

A couple or three varieties of tropical waterlily would be easy to keep in one window

Tina and Islamorada are very easy, resilient and reliable to Winter indoors.

Panama Pacific, Director Moore (potted plant) and Blink are fairly easy

When you get the hang of growing tropical waterlilies outdoors, with time the bother of collecting and storing tubers in a small bag becomes an additional routine for storing a few spares.

Some tropical waterlilies are very resilient plants in Spring, going from a small start to flowering in less than a month, very reliable at producing resilient reliable tubers and viviparous starts at the end of Summer

Blue (or blue-violet) flowering waterlilies are very doable if you have more than a month of pond waters warmer than 70°f through Summer.

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 09:39:07 AM »
Thank you Andrew, But I don't have enough room for more plants inside. I'm sortof a house plant freek also. Can they be saved over winter buy just storing the tubers in a bag? If so can you give me more info on how toos? Pleeease!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline andrew davis

• Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2007, 12:58:26 PM »
Hi Debbie,

Sure, tubers are very easy to locate and store, when you know what to expect

A flowering plant may seem promising at the end of Summer, however they may have expended their growth doing blooms and not forming tubers. Trying to lift and store those is likely to be disappointing, too much organic mush, too much plant shock, strong likelihood the tuber may split. Better to try lifting the whole pot and storing it in a bucket of water without disturbing the roots and top foliage.

Some trop lilies just do not make tubers reliably, they are very, very poor at reproduction. Personally I would avoid trying those in the first place, alas adequate cultivation information is nine times out of ten, not provided from a source. Finding out the hard way is disappointing

If at the end of Summer, about late August, you stop feeding a tropical waterlily, move it to a shadier position, the plant is more likely to switch from a blooming phase, to tubering.

Take out your equipment, too whit one finger, slip it into the mud besides the lily, straight in, probe the soft mud for what feels like lumps. you will notice the roots of the lily go straight down to the bottom of the pot and radiate around the pot sides, probing the mud between the plant and the pot side is not so bad, there is not much in the way of roots to damage.

A Tina might set say, ten tubers less than an inch in size, pea sized. Colorata may set umpteen tubers of all sizes up to an inch. Islamorada I don't know, I usually find that vip's are plentiful and the tubers survive outdoors most years. Same with panama pacific... On the night bloomers, tubers may be anywhere up to six inches in size, huge conglomerates... or single one inch golfball size

Once a tuber is gently winkled out, minimising root damage, soak in water, rinse off all sediments. A harsh bleach overnight, rinse again. Allow tuber to surface dry briefly, to minimise the chance of fungus spores germinating on the surface just prior to storing the plant

The harsh bleach solution should disinfect the exterior of the tuber of any spores of fungus. Indoors, in the absence of ultra violet light to suppress them, fungus spores can romp. One or two drops to a small cup, a tablespoon or two to a bucket of water... to help rinse and disinfect sediments. Bleach is cheap, readily available and effective. After a couple of days the bleach degrades to an insignificant amount of slat water.

Dust with preferred fungicide, say sulphur or whatever else is offered at your local plant place for dusting stored bulbs, tubers, corms. (Read the instructions before you use fungicides) Healthy plants from disease free ponds are very reliable to store, no point giving some lousy mildew spores a chance to spoil things...

Plonk in bag of barely damp peat, close bag plonk on shelf. Place where mice won't find it at room temp. Peak once in a while to make sure there is some moisture content in bag (tubers die if too cold, or too dry, I never did that so I don't know if it is true)

By the time Spring comes, the plants own clock will be ticking, a healthy disease free plant will be showing sprouts.

Consider starting them off in a glass of water while temps outside are borderline, better to plant out with ZERO risk of a cold snap, which can set back a growing plant to a dormant (or dead) phase

Regards, andy
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 09:41:41 PM by andrew davis »

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2007, 01:29:07 PM »
Thanks Andy. I have used Sevon for many years for fungi, it is even good for the chickens and dog to roll in. You need to explain harsh bleach overnight? What parts what. Like 5pts water to 2pts bleech? I as a rull don't use dirt for my pond plants, I use very very small gravel almost sand or the reg waterplant media.(Microb Lift) I'm assuming thats ok also in place of reg. dirt?   I have been a gardener for years but pond plant stuff I'm still new to and I love it so please be patient with me.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2007, 02:19:48 PM »
Hi Debbie,

Sorry to butt in, but I was planning to ask what it is that people are trying to overwinter indoors and had taken tuber pictures to go along with my question, but your question and Andrew's response kind of tie in.<g>  My curiousity stems from the fact that except for starting Victoria seed, all of my lilies are outdoor plants....we can do that in FL.<g>

If people are trying to winter over a tuber like the one on the left in the picture, that seems to me to be an excercise in futility.  It is an actively growing rhizome and not going to be particularly happen indoors.  The tuber on the right...now that I can see overwintering, but the thing about tropical tubers...and the name 'tropical' is a hint....the tuber that forms to get the plant through a dormant stage isn't a adaptation to cold,  it is an adaptation for survival in the dry season.  So it makes more sense to me to try and winter it dry than in an aquarium.  When I have had cause to store  tropical tubers, I've  kept them in onion bags and just misted them as needed.  They do best when kept just this side of bone dry.  And while I do treat the with a fungicide before storage, I have never seen the need to bleach them.  Too harsh for my plants and to what purpose?  There are always the equally effective and more plant friendly sanitizing treatments such as  Zerotol, Phyton 27 or RD20.

I guess there is no one treatment fits all, so you need to experiment and see what works best in your area.  I have a grower friend in TX that needs to stop feeding his plants in June to get them to tuber, some say August works...me, I tend to let the water lever drop below the crown of the plant to simulate impending drought conditions.  Plants do have tendancy to tuber at different rates, but it is safe to assume that if it is commercially available, tubering is not an issue.  Avoiding ones that don't propagate is easy..the market is self-limiting.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2007, 02:31:23 PM »
Thank you Craig. since I am so new to this I know very little to nothing about lillies. Due to our very hot summers and very cold winters I just thought I would never be able to have a beautiful blue lillie. Hince my asking about wintering them other than in the pond and due to no room pots in the house. I can how ever find a place here in the house to winter them as you said. We usually have our last light frost just before Mothers day in May. And our first frosts usually first of Oct. Is that enough time to have a tropical and really be able to enjoy it?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2007, 04:35:55 PM »
I have visited your area and seen tropical lilies, but there may have been greenhouses involved. So they will bloom there, I think they start them early in the GH's.   But if you contact me in mid-May I can guarantee you that you will have a blue tropical lily to enjoy for the summer.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2007, 04:43:25 PM »
Thank you again Craig I'll put you on my calender! @O@ This year I am hopeing to get to do the pond tour. It most always falls on the week end I have to work.  :'( Since we are so spread out and small comunitie towns it's a lot of driving! So where abouts have ya been over here? Just nosiy :o
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2007, 04:47:47 PM »
Hi Timgod,

Mike?  I disqualified him as a judge the year I was chair!  Lol....only because he was the grower and I felt if one judge had to base the vote on a photo then all judges should have to.<g>

I think your photo obviously deviates from the description of the 'type' for N. capensis, but that is based on a photo which is treading on thin ice to begin with.  I'd never say yeay or nay from a photo.

Thing is,  at least N. 'Castaliflora', 'King of the Blues', 'Red Beauty' and Purple Zanzibar are all selections that deviate from the type description of N. capensis, so it may well be a N. capensis you have.

What I actually "think" though is that most of what are sold as N. capensis are compromised and not pure stock. And that includes my stock, so I no longer offer N. capensis, just 'Blue Capensis'.

Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2007, 06:20:35 PM »
I'm certainly no expert, but for several years I've overwintered growing potted versions of my 'Leopardess' easily, and Red Flare less easily, jury still out on 'Trudy Slocum' since this is my first winter trying it. I live in Maryland, so the lilies are outdoors from June 1 to October/November.

I put them in buckets (usually 4 to 5 gallon horse watering bucekts since they are very sturdy and relatively cheap) under cheap shop lights in my plant room. I used to use four 40 watt tubes, but the lights and tubes have been gradually dying and I'm down to one tube now and most are still OK (Trudy is hurting). I personally believe they do fairly well mainly because they stay warm - the room never drops below 70 degrees F and can get up to 79 to 92 degrees with all the grow lights running on a warm sunny day.

The plants take minimal maintenance - I just top up the water and prune the dead or excess pads every few weeks, and change the water if it gets nasty. Often I put a snail from the pond in there and that really helps keep things cleaner. The plants don't get big and they don't bloom, but they are ready to roll outside on June 1 and get to blooming size fairly fast. I leave them out there well into October, even into November one year. Sometimes they go dormant for a month or two when I first bring them indoors, but as long as they are warm, they start putting up pads again.

I do understand about not having room for more plants in the house, but it's fun! I'm even considering getting a heavy-duty grow light and a bigger tub and doing a minipond with several of them next winter in hopes of a few flowers.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2007, 06:49:29 PM »
I am zone 5 Missouri. I grow tropical lilies and have not many problems. I even grow some gigantea. I store my tubers rolled in captan in damp sand in zip locked bags. I put in popcorn cans on a shelf in my basement which stays about 50* to 60*. I will not give up on them.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2007, 07:07:48 PM »
Thanks for you input ladies. I have a green house but to date no power to it so It's not an option. I don't have a basement so that thought is out too. I'm thinking the dry storage is my only hope.So Vickie, when do you start yours? Indoors or out?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
Craig,
Thanks for the clarification.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2007, 02:14:53 PM »
Well Debbie, you caught me in an inaccuracy brought on by my east coast geographical bias.  When I think coast, I think east, but I was actually in western Oregon.  Portland and Eugene for the iwgs symposium and new waterlily competition in '02(?)
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2007, 03:09:24 PM »
I think it was 2002 when we were there Craig. Met LeeAnne in person for the first time on that trip also.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2007, 03:34:50 PM »
Seems like it was longer ago than that.....Time flies. Here are Sean and I at Hughes Water Gardens. Please excuse my ghastly clothes, it was my work uniform.

Debbie lives east of the Cascades, which means very cold winters, unlike what we have over here on the coast.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2007, 05:30:06 PM »
Great pic LeeAnne, so you live down in Oregon! Yes it is very cold winters but today was warm and so pleasent I almost left work  at 11:00 just to come home and ride my horse.  {nono} The winters is why I thought I would never be able to have a beautiful blue Lilly. But now Craig has got me straight on that one.  @O@ I love ya for that Craig. o(:-)
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
What is that in Seans' left hand?  {:-P;;
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2007, 05:43:45 PM »
Sure doesen't look like water does it? :no: ::)
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2007, 07:02:25 PM »
Well I think you both look very nice in that photo.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"