Author Topic: Anybody got one of these?  (Read 1997 times)

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
Anybody got one of these?
« on: February 14, 2007, 03:20:10 PM »
or similar to it? Considering a floor lamp need to know if it lights the area well.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody got one of these?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 03:51:04 PM »
I have one similar that I use to read in bed.  It gives off quite a bit of light . . . mine is on a dimmer tho, so I can turn it down if I want (or if DH wants).

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 04:40:28 PM »
It seems like it would throw the light ceilingward instead of down to read by.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »
I used to have one and hated it, I burnt myself on it, blinded my self with it (at the base of the stairs coming down) and never liked the light it gave off.
I think I paid something like $60.00 for it too. Now you can get them for about $6.00. The bulbs are expensive though. Don't touch the bulb with bare fingers when you change them either, the oil on your skin will burst the bulb when it heats up.

They are good, just not for me, I don't like halogen light. Make sure to get one with a dimmer built on to the switch. I find them in the garbage around here all the time.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

GAJen

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 04:55:13 PM »
Dang they are still high here. Our new bed is going to be delivered Tuesday and I wanted one to stand next to it to read by because upgrading to the King size is going to force me to move my night stand and lamp. Sorry to hear about that Sean.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 05:17:45 PM »
Yes, they light not just a small area, they give off a whole lot of light.  But do be careful of the bulbs, they are probably halogen and get quite hot, so please don't put them near curtains or combustibles as they have started many fires that way -  :o
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 06:07:02 PM »
Jen - mine is not a hallogen . . . just takes normal bulbs.  It does throw the light to the ceiling, but enough of it falls to make reading nice.  If it has a dimmer, it works for a bedside lamp - even if it's only giving light to one side of the bed.  Mine is just behind my pillow behind our king sized bed and it works really well. 

If that one is only hallogen, look around for another that uses normal bulbs and has a dimmer switch.  It will work for what you want it for.

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 06:36:09 PM »
It looks great, but I would want one that aims the light down towards my book and away from my dh. I also hate halogen bulbs - my dd almost burned down the house years ago with one in a small desk lamp. I feel safe with my big-a** grow lights but not with a halogen! Go figure.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline -Greg-

• Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 03:54:00 AM »
I have one threw up in my attic.  Years ago there was a thing on the news about them.  If tipped over how quick they would catch something on fire.  They offered a guard then to go over the bulb.  I had twin toddlers at the time, I just threw it up in the attic.  I didn't want to hurt my parents feeling, because it had been a gift. 

I'm sure the issue: fire hazzard isn't an issue with the newer ones. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 09:04:19 AM »
I had one in the 80's. Would not have one again. They do tip easily and those halogen bulbs are really hot. They also attracted and fried bugs giving off a horrid smell that took me awhile to figure out what it was. I thought the house was burning somewhere.

I have a floor lamp that uses incandescents and faces down now.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

GAJen

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 02:38:34 PM »
Thanks ya'll and you too Greg for that looking up you did. Don't think I'll go with one like pictured. Talk to you all soon got to wrap the plants.......23 tonight.

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 04:08:11 AM »
I've had the halogen versions of that lamp in the past and would not suggest one. For the same style though, check out www.overstock.com. I have some beautiful Tiffany style torchieres that I believe were around $80 each. Not bad for Tiffany style! Overstock has flat rate shipping and usually coupons for new customers.

Here's a link for 10% off for new customers:  http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=STATICPAGE&PAGE_ID=7272&cid=107836&fp=F

Here's a very pretty iris torchiere. I bought this for my MIL. They seem to be out of the star one that I have.
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1891828

Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

GAJen

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 06:58:55 PM »
Thought you all might like to know that the dumb A## furniture store who had this lamp called me today offered it to me for $149.00 with no bulb. NO WAY ........

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"