Author Topic: algaefix  (Read 1864 times)

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
algaefix
« on: May 28, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
we have lots of algae again and i'm wearying of fighting it . has anyone tried '' pondcare algae fix'' it is sold by webbs water gardens . it can be used with no harm to fish or plants , theoretically . other suggestions welcomed , i had just stumbled across this product by accident and hoped for your comments . i'm about to turn 74 and between dishes , housework , yardwork , washing and ''waxing'' cars , and taking care of pond i'm getting discouraged . yes , i am aware that all of you are going through same thing , i also suspect that some of you are younger than i . . .peace

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: algaefix
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 02:48:01 PM »
I had really bad string algae this spring.  I decided to try hydrogen peroxide.  I have been adding about 3 1/2 cups per each 8' stock tank.  The algae is nearly all gone now.

In the smaller tanks, I added 2 cups to 500 gallons last night and the water is clearer already this afternoon.  I will do about 4 applications each before I stop.

I am happy with the results so far, and at $1.00 a quart, cheap enough to use for several months if necessary.

Offline Bob_A

• Members
  • With us since: 05/08/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 03:43:24 PM »
I've used Algaefix a few times.  It works and didn't hurt my plants or fish.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »
I am amazed.  I added the 3% HP to my unfiltered tanks Monday evening.  This morning, the 'brown' has all settled to the bottom of the tanks and I will be able to vacuum most of it out.  I can't believe that I can actually 'see' the fish for the first time in weeks.  Their water turned green/brown after I relined the tanks in April and had never cleared.

There are even buds on the lilies.

Who would have thought two quarts of 88 cent HP could have done the trick.

Mr. 2vetts, I am about 10 years younger than you and sometimes get really tired of 'fighting' the never ending work also.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:35:33 PM »
Sue, are you saying the HP helped get rid of the suspended particles in the water... the stuff that causes some of the brown tint?

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »
I have heard of people using that stuff, and killed their whole pond. HP or koi clay is the way to go.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 01:13:41 PM »
Yes, that is what I'm saying.  Was it the HP that did it or did they finally cycle?  For a couple of bucks, it was worth the experiment.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 03:09:14 PM »
I would not use algaefix. I have heard bad stories it killed plants and fish. I tried a little in an aquarium one year and it killed my seedlings in there.

Offline 2vetts

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 03:53:20 PM »
i appreciate your help , thanks . . .peace ...ps . brushed the pond today and took a small stiff brush and tried to lessen the amount of algae on the sides . i would think that the fish would find the stirred up clouded water like you or i would find a smoky room , most unpleasant . in truth the fish seem to love having me work cleaning the pond and not bothered at all . they gather right where i'm brushing . we are talking ''comets'' not koi . . . .peace , again [ can't have to much peace ]

Offline izzyponder

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 01:29:42 AM »
A friend of mine used Barley extract.
It worked really well on the string algae but she did have to vacuum the pond once the algae died.  :)

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • HowardTheHumble's Aquatic Pages
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 06:18:36 AM »
As I understand it Barley Straw generates hydrogen peroxide as it decomposes.  May as well use the hydrogen peroxide. 

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 07:20:55 PM »
I dumped a couple of 16 oz bottles of HP into my 1000 gallon pond today & noticed some of the string algae was turning grey.  Hoping the HP will be a good solution to the string algae.  It usually goes away once the lilies fill in & it gets hot but I am so tired of fighting it every spring.  Thanks for posting the info Sue.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »
My unfiltered tanks were clear Saturday and Sunday but were turning green again today.  I added HP again.  I'll let you know what happens again.

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »
I use Algae Fix with no problems whatsoever.  If you have fish tho, need to be sure and
keep water recirculating  to provide oxygen for fish. This   product takes oxygen fish need
out of the water. A friend of mine used in an aquarium, with bad luck. Follow the directions,
not just upend the container.

Marie Fisher

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 04:56:03 AM »
We  finally had about 3 1/2" of rain and the unfiltered tanks are pea soup green again.  I will try the HP again and see what happens this time. 

Offline 2vetts

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 05:29:39 AM »
directions on algafix said 1/4 cup per 600 gallons every 3 days till algae is controlled . we have about 2600-2700 gallons and i put in 3/4 of a cup and 3 days later a half cup and so far no adverse effects and water ,which didn't look to bad , looks crystal clear . i'm now waiting to see if algae growth is inhibited which was my goal when starting this . . . .peace

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"