Author Topic: So sad... Pond starting to get that fall bloomed out look :(  (Read 1988 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
So sad... Pond starting to get that fall bloomed out look :(
« on: August 18, 2006, 11:43:53 AM »
I hate thinking ponding is almost over.  All my stuff is starting to really look scraggly and without texture or color again after a brief bout of color. ... I really need help rethinking planting for next year.... any takers :)

[img width= height=]http://tinkster.com/ebay/8-06pond3.jpg[/img]br>[img width= height=]http://tinkster.com/ebay/8-06pond.jpg[/img]br>[img width= height=]http://tinkster.com/ebay/8-06pond1.jpg[/img]br>[img width= height=]http://tinkster.com/ebay/8-06pond2.jpg[/img]br>[img width= height=]http://tinkster.com/ebay/8-06pond4.jpg[/img]br>[img width= height=]http://tinkster.com/ebay/8-06pond5.jpg[/img]brTinkster

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: So sad... Pond starting to get that fall bloomed out look :(
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 12:23:04 PM »
I think it looks pretty darn good. O0

But I know what you mean, my petunias, geraniums, etc are looking rather sad now. I think I'm going to yank most of them out of the pots this weekend.
My floater plants are starting to fail. The water hyacinths are small and the water lettuce are turning yellow and going flat.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 03:38:13 PM »
What are you talking about girl, it all looks amazing O0

If your not happy with it, give everything a final shot of fertilizer for the year, that should get everything blooming again.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline andrew davis

• Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 04:06:41 PM »
A liquid mulch bin is quite useful to set up for a water garden, garden and pond trimmings make for a perky source of liquid feed for late Summer and Spring use

Regards, andy
http://community.webshots.com/user/adavisus

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 04:37:03 PM »
Tink,
I think that you should have titled this thread:

LOOK AT MY BEAUTIFUL PLANTINGS AND POND  ;D O0

Andrew,
Tell me more about the liquid mulch bin.
Thanks,
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 04:45:28 PM »
{cue tiny violins}  ;)

slap yourself Tink. come back to reality!! nothing lasts all year. things come and they go. beauty is not permanent to paraphrase Warhol. but i see more lily blooms in your pond right now than some folks see all year. everything looks green and lush from the views you're showing. it's only august. still another month of summer left and probably a few weeks after that before actual fall weather hits. you'll be singing the blues soon enough, no need to get a head start!

now, your other thread about how to fill in the gaps, that makes sense. but still better to appreciate what you've got right now than to moan about what's not still there.   8)
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 06:20:20 PM »
Tink Your pond and gardens are beautiful! the Lillies are gorgeous. Wish mind were as nice. Look  at the bright side you could be in zone 5 and expect frost any time after Labor Day. Thanks for posting pictures. O0
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline andrew davis

• Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 08:31:36 PM »
Liquid mulch bin,

Ahah, take large bin, stuff it with chopped water hyacinth, old lilypads, grass weeds, uncooked kitchen scraps such as lettuce, cabbage, fruit...

When bin is chock full and you can't cram any more in, fill bin with water and put a lid on it.
After four weeks the lot will be well dead and rotted and the fluid a deep clear amber makes for a very fertile liquid feed

The majority of aquatic plants absorb minerals and nutrients through their foliage, waterlilies in particular...

Don't be surprised to see a doubling and tripling in bloom and growth rates, don't apply to overcrowded vigorous growing plants ;)

Regards, andy
http://community.webshots.com/user/adavisus

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 08:39:20 PM »
Andy,
  Doesn't it smell to high heaven when you remove the lid?
Cath
zone 5b

Offline LBAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 06:47:12 AM »
Tink- It still looks beautiful! My pond looks dead. I just got back after 11 days and my dad forgot to water for me. ::)Even my black eyed susans and purple coneflowers died. I was so upset. From now on I think I'll vacation after gardening season!

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 07:43:39 AM »
I think your pond looks beautiful too. Unfortunately summer doesn't last forever. I don't think there is anything you could do to improve it.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"