Author Topic: Will Turtlemike be selling any of his lilies this year?  (Read 5249 times)

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Will Turtlemike be selling any of his lilies this year?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 02:26:57 PM »

Sue, what condition were the plants in when they arrived, broken leaves , dead leaves, broken stems etc ?

They were perfect when I boxed them up and I am curious how they arrived. At least the weather is cool all the way to Texas. They should be pretty happy as long as they didn't get beat up to much.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 02:29:05 PM »
One pad was bent at the stem...other than that, they look great.  A lot of buds.

My water is a tad cool yet, I only have a few 'red' pads up so far.

Thanks for such good looking lilies.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 10:17:19 PM »
Ôh man Sue, you are going to have some awesome blooms this summer. Will be anxious to see your pics.

Love that Pixie Skirt. I will be in line for that one. ;)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 05:31:55 AM »
Can someone clarify what the "Too Pretty" collection consists of? Is it a certain number of lilles for that price and are they the same or different or random? Thanks.
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 09:51:37 AM »
 It is four of my second grade un-named waterlilies that didn't make the final cut but are still great waterlilies.
They are waterlilies that have been in my collection for years because I can't bring myself to feed them to the horses.
 Eventually though something has to give to make room for new varieties, including hardy blue and purple waterlilies, here on the farm.  Which plants make the final cut and which don't is quite subjective and is a matter of personal preference as much as quantifiable traits. By the time a plant is considered a contender for naming and registration and sales it has been selected as superior to similar plants in my collection at least two times. In other words I start with the run of the mill seedlings and I select what are the best and unusual high quality seedlings and plant them in a testing area for further evaluation. That is the first selection. After they mature and show their full potential and I get to know them I then select a few of the best of their types and continue to grow them for another year so I can evaluate them from spring through fall as full size plants. That is the second selection. Next, again I select the best of those for their type and I plant them by themselves and let them make a crowded bed of plants of one variety to see how they grow over time in crowded conditions and make sure they are stable and really get to know them. That is the third selection and I call them contenders for naming. From these I make the final selections for naming from the cream of the crop. Anything that makes it to contender is a great waterlily without a doubt but if there is something similar but just slightly better in my subjective view then It gets named and the rest of the similar contenders of its type get one last chance at reprieve from being fed to the horses and that is if they are "just to pretty" to kill ! I keep these plants for my enjoyment as long as I can until I absolutely need the room for new contenders. Many of these contenders grow on me over time and I end up keeping them even if I don't name them for sales etc. As a breeder I get to enjoy the subtle differences between waterlilies that retail purchasers never get to enjoy because the market can't handle similar named plants without confusion and difficulties with describing subtle differences. Frankly, the average waterlily purchaser is barley beyond thinking about whether they want a red or a yellow one, much less about subtle differences between different reds or yellows. But not all waterlily purchasers are average and some of us LOVE subtle differences from what is commonly available as long as the plant is top quality.  I am able to enjoy them myself, so why not you too. So I sell them, hoping they won't go extinct and someone is enjoying them.

I have different colors and types and If you want 4 different yellows I can do that. Or if you want 4 different pink and yellows I can do that. Or if you want a pink, a yellow, a pink and yellow, and dark pink I can do that. Tell me what colors you want and I will choose the plant or I can post Pix and you can choose. However you want.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
 Some Just To Pretty waterlilies.

Get em while you can. There are more than this.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2013, 10:43:43 AM »
JTP.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 05:56:08 PM »
I got mine...and you can look at the pads and see that there are differences in the coloration of the pads.  They all had buds also.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »

It looks like they traveled good.  Thanks for posting the pic. I like knowing how they arrived.

Mike.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 04:59:27 PM »
Mike, hubby loved the 'markers'...we use that tape all the time around here.  I usually have a wad in my pocket.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
Thanks Mike for clarifying and sharing with us some of the history of the Too Pretty Collection. Much appreciated. Can they all for the most part be "bonsai"ed in this collection for those of us that do not have large mud ponds?  I am not sure if someone might have asked this question already for all of the lillies in this collection or a particular lily they had in mind, sorry for repeating the question if that is the case.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 08:01:30 AM »
I'm drooling over them, Mike.   O0  I need to hurry up and get the farm pond dredged and enlarged so I can get some of those waterlilies.  You spend a lot of time getting the best of the best.  It is hard to find someone who really enjoys waterlilies and knows the difference from 1 pink to another.  I'm just an average waterlily person but I'm slowly learning.  Slow is the operative word here.   lol

Kuan

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 08:45:43 AM »
 I am not much of a bonsai'er if that's a word, I'm more of a big mud pond kind of guy but my experience tells me that most waterlilies that bloom very well into the fall will do well in small pots and bloom fine. Even though I am a free-range waterlily grower, since I grow in crowded bed conditions a bed simulates conditions in a small pot because of the overcrowding. I breed for waterlilies that bloom well in crowded low fertility conditions that simulate potted conditions pretty well so they should perform very well in a pot.  In fact many perform much better confined in a pot. Sunfire is like that because free-range in fertile topsoil it gets to big and leafy and doesn't flower as much but in a gallon pot with holes in the bottom to get some mulm it's happy as a clam as they say and blooms like crazy and stays small.
 We have been dealing with this question at Turtle Island Waterlilies all spring when we have to categorize  plants according to their adaptability since I have never grown most of them in pots ! All I can say at this point is that I will try to get most of the best ones growing in pots this summer so I will be able to say more for sure about adaptability in the future. Some of my plants are obviously bigger than others when given great conditions and I see them at their best so I know which are the bigger and smaller ones and if you ask for smaller or more adaptable ones I will definitely avoid the monsters and only dig moderate size ones for you that don't run fast.  The main thing to remember is that if you are not completely satisfied we will replace it or refund your money. So be our guinea pigs and let us know how they adapt.
I really want feedback from you guys. You know waterlilies and know how to grow them so your expert opinions are valuable to me. Let me know how they do especially if they don't do good and I'll breed them to be better.

Big doesn't necessarily mean not adaptable. Yellow Watermelon is a giant when grown free-range in fertile soil and I recommend it for that. It's amazing.   But it is highly adaptable and shrinks down nicely in a gallon pot and has a different personality. The yellow leaves and flowers are great mixed with a dark leafed and flowered plant like Tanzanite or Almost Black. I grew Tanzanite with it one year and I loved it.

Sunfire can hardly be beat and Lilypons has it for sale for 50 bucks and they are running out pretty soon maybe, so you might want to grab them while you can.   They are grown by me and Lilypons is selling and shipping them so the plants are dug by me and come from my ponds. I other words they are good plants.
 I have been shipping them 30 a week and in 3-4 more weeks that will be it for the big plants at least until later in the summer when the smaller plants get big.

I use flagging tape for so much around here Sue. I go through several big rolls a year. Mostly for flagging fertilized pods and tying seed bags.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2013, 09:06:33 AM »
 For anybody that wants to order the just to pretty collection I suggest that you hold off for a week or two because they will start blooming very soon and I can tell exactly what I an digging.  The just too pretty collections that I have shipped so far have been pretty much the same plants each time because I can ID them and I know that they are very good and cover the color range from light to dark and yellow. Another issue is that some of them are mixed with named plants that I don't want to release yet and I have to be sure I am sending the correct plants or you might get a heck of a deal.  For instance if you want plants from the picture above dated 8/16/20 I can get you the ones you want as long as I can tell them apart.  The small pink on the left is the first flower from Pink Nova. You can't have that one. Not yet !  There are LOTS of JTPs that you haven't seen and I plan on mixing them in as I can ID the best ones for the collection. I WANT you to have only the best ones because I want them to live on even if I have to get rid of them to make room for bigger better things. I don't care about deleting the not so great ones it's those just to pretty ones that I can't bear to destroy. I'll miss them but at least you will still have them.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »
 Since I mentioned it here's Pink Nova.  Extremely variable. Can be white in spring. It might qualify as a semi-mini. Two and a half ft. wide I would say with 7 inch flowers but it can be made smaller in small pots. The leaves are smaller than the flowers. I'm still evaluating it but it's like it has a personality disorder and doesn't know what it wants to be. I think it was all white in Texas last year.  Very similar to Colorado but smaller with much bigger flowers. Reproduces like crazy so it can be for sale quickly if I decide that it won't give me a bad reputation.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2013, 12:29:56 PM »
All are spectacular. If my Koi should meet with a disaster, I would love to order all of them!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2013, 02:56:14 PM »
For anybody that wants to order the just to pretty collection I suggest that you hold off for a week or two because they will start blooming very soon and I can tell exactly what I an digging.  The just too pretty collections that I have shipped so far have been pretty much the same plants each time because I can ID them and I know that they are very good and cover the color range from light to dark and yellow. Another issue is that some of them are mixed with named plants that I don't want to release yet and I have to be sure I am sending the correct plants or you might get a heck of a deal.  For instance if you want plants from the picture above dated 8/16/20 I can get you the ones you want as long as I can tell them apart.  The small pink on the left is the first flower from Pink Nova. You can't have that one. Not yet !  There are LOTS of JTPs that you haven't seen and I plan on mixing them in as I can ID the best ones for the collection. I WANT you to have only the best ones because I want them to live on even if I have to get rid of them to make room for bigger better things. I don't care about deleting the not so great ones it's those just to pretty ones that I can't bear to destroy. I'll miss them but at least you will still have them.

Mke,
 When they start to bloom maybe you could post the pics here...it will save you from having to send individual pics to people interested in ordering but who might want to pick from the pics first?
  (8:-)

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 08:56:10 PM »
I'm glad I already have mine...I won't miss a day of their great blooms when they start.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2013, 06:49:44 AM »

I will post pix when they bloom.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2013, 04:05:08 AM »
Don't forget to check out the Dealer Deals as Turtlemike is offering AP members a discount code til June 7.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2013, 11:37:48 AM »
 Thank you Kat.

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »
Where do I find the offers by Turtlemike for AP members?

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2013, 07:03:59 PM »

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »

Thanks Sue.

The bloom has begun and I'll start posting pix as soon as I can.

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
Thank you Sue. For some reason I missed that. Thanks, Mike.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »

Everything is blooming now and I will post pix very soon.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2013, 08:28:15 AM »
When I got mine in early May, they all had buds.  I put them into water colder than they were used to and we had a very cold spring. 

They all four have buds coming up.  This one stands about 3" above the water.

I can't take pics worth a durn so the coloring is off.

Even hubby says this is a different color than any of my others.  I know we will be enjoying them for years to come.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"