Author Topic: Tadpoles  (Read 1206 times)

Offline migsly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/02/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
Tadpoles
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:32:36 AM »
I love tadpoles. Do you all ever get them in your ponds? I get them every year. They coexist with the fish. There were some noisy frogs around my pond for the last few days and today I noticed some eggs.  :)
Margo

Genesis 1:21
So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Offline magoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tadpoles
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »
Bull frogs, leopard frogs, other frogs not  ided several different tree frogs even one that eats my lily pads grrrrrrr. I encourage the Highland Road Male  Chorus as much as I can even to the eaters..
If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' to excess
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/magoo_/

Offline migsly

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »
Sorry about your lily pads, magoo.

I just noticed the eggs have hatched and a bunch of tiny tadpoles are swimming around. I thought they were just some residue from a tree or something because of all the rain. But they swam. I took a closer look and they were indeed tadpoles.

Margo

So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 06:24:42 PM »
I always have frogs in my pond, bullfrogs and leopard frogs, but never see the tadpoles.  My thought is the fish eat the eggs before they get to hatch out.  If some do not get eaten, then they are savvy enough to elude the goldies and my eyes by staying hidden.  I usually remove the very large bullfrogs to the creek in the pasture~I don't want them eating my fish if I can help it.  I did see a toad last year hanging around the pond, probably to lay eggs in there, it was so dry here.  This year they could lay eggs anywhere since there seems to be a puddle every few feet!  :) You are lucky to have fish that let them coexist, my goldies are ruled by their stomachs (that is if they HAVE stomachs!)  ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline migsly

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 07:03:14 PM »
I usually remove the very large bullfrogs to the creek in the pasture

That's a good idea, LuAnn.

Yeah, I think mollies live and let live. Unless it's a mosquito larva. lol. I was wondering if tadpoles might be toxic to the fish and that's why they don't eat them.
Margo

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »
I've often wondered that about toad-poles, like they are bitter or something, but frog-poles well, they eat 'em like popcorn!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline migsly

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »
toad-poles
That's a good name for them. ;D

I have kittens that play with everything that moves but the toads. I assume the toads are poisonous. It's a good thing because when a toad hops it makes a tempting toy.
Margo

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"