Author Topic: PP treatment for water lilies  (Read 1040 times)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
PP treatment for water lilies
« on: July 18, 2013, 12:09:33 PM »
question;  I've been dividing water lilies all month, and they have been sitting in tubs potted and fertilized waiting for buyers but not many takers around here.  It's been hot here and I hate for bacteria to build up in the soil so I was wondering if I could PP the potted plants and what the dose would be.  Also I was going to offer them here and other places but will have to unpot to send so would want to PP those also so they would be healthy and germ free so how would I do that treatment.  Thanks in advance.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline nmpondguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • NM Ponguy's Watergarden Retreat
Re: PP treatment for water lilies
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »
I wouldn't pp them before sending them out.  The person who recieves them should do that. 

Anyway, for bare root plants, I put 1/4 teaspoon of pp crystals in a 5 gallon bucket.  Carefully use water pressure form a garden hose to mix while adding water nearly to the top. Submerge/soak plants for a few hours (3-4).  Rinse with clear water before potting.

The last time I did this, I forgot my plants were soaking till the next day.  24 hour soak killed 1 of the 3 waterlilies.  It came as a bonus (part of a package deal) and I really didn't have room for it anyway - so no biggie.

I guess you could do the same for potted plants, but I've never done it.

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 05:58:36 PM »
I use 1 tablespoon of pp to 600 gallons of water for my potted lilies. It has killed any of them.

Offline marla

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:24:41 PM »
ok thanks guys, hoping matherfish you meant to say It HASN'T killed any of them.  I will need to down size the amount as these are just in Rubbermaid tubs.
Her secret is patience.

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 06:19:56 PM »
Yes, Marla, it hasn't killed any fish. I have mostly 20 gallon tubs, so I mix the tablespoon into a gallon of water. I then put I/2 cup of the solution into a tub.  Works out pretty easy that way. One gallon of solution does 32 tubs.

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 07:59:28 AM »
thanks so much matherfish, now I don't have to figure it out O0 ;)  How long do you leave them for and then do you rinse them good?
Her secret is patience.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"