Author Topic: Is there something wrong with our koi???  (Read 1002 times)

Offline wags

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Is there something wrong with our koi???
« on: September 01, 2013, 06:54:10 AM »
We have had our pond for around 6 years now :) we have had our ups and downs with it but we have had good luck with it the last couple of years  o( But the last couple of weeks I don't know whats been going on with our koi they are not eating very well and they are like right next to the pump with there mouths open taking in the bubbles like there having trouble breathing or something I know it sounds stupid but they have never have done it before they don't hardley swim around at all o( just sit next to the bubbles with their mouths opening and closeing what could be wrong??  please help :'( thanks wags

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is there something wrong with our koi???
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:40:29 AM »
is it super hot there?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline wags

• Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 12:14:26 PM »
it was in the 90's for about a week with heat index of 100 , but now it is in the 80's and they are still doing it .

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
Add more air...air pump.

Also try a water change using dechlor if necessary.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 06:28:02 PM »
I don't have koi but goldfish and I watched this happen last year.  I watched my fish become listless and sit on the bottom of the pond.  I figured out I had a ammonia spike.  Did water changes and saved some fish, but had I done it before I saw them acting strange I wouldn't have lost so many. I also vacuumed up bottom sludge and decaying matter, our summer was extremely dry and very hot.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tayana

• Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 03:04:04 AM »
I lost a koi Saturday morning.  The koi was about 6 inches, not sure why it died, there was no apparent signs on its body.  The fish have been active and eating good. Tested the water and everything was ok.  Even tho the temp hasn't been that warm here I turned on my air pump to add more oxygen into the water.  The rest of the fish seem to be doing good.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 05:24:01 PM »
We keep more pumps running in our big koi pond. I have 2  filters that first goes through a filter box then through a vegetable filter. Plus another pump and filter. So that is 3 pumps running in the heat plus water hyicanths and water lettuce  to shade the goldfish and koi. So far all are okay.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"