Author Topic: Neighbor doesn't understand  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Neighbor doesn't understand
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:16:32 AM »
My neighbor doesn't understand why I put so much time and effer into something (my garden and pond) that you can't eat.  I guess some of us like to enjoy gods beauty and others don't, unless they can eat it.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Neighbor doesn't understand
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 11:19:36 AM »
you can explain it all day long, if they don't get, they never will. o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 11:46:33 AM »
Your neighbor gets to enjoy all of your work to make a beautiful pond and yard and doesn't have to do any work.
Luck him!
Maybe you get to enjoy some of his work (that you can eat) ;)

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 02:23:19 PM »
I used to have a friend that always made comments like "you need to get a life" because I kept my yard and gardens looking nice.  ?)(?  We are no longer friends! (8:-)

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 02:30:05 PM »
Steve, why do you think he enjoys it?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 04:52:15 PM »
Jerry,
Many years ago, when I was looking for a piece of land in the country, I had a realter tell me that I didn't have to own the land to enjoy it. ( the view )
I've always remembered that. In other words, the neighbor can enjoy the view of her yard without the work.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 04:53:35 PM »
Our front yard is known throughout the neighborhood as the 'perfect lawn yard'.  That's cuz hubby takes great pride in his grass and plantings.  Everyone knows which house we live in after they ask and I say the second house blah blah and then they reply "Oh, is that your husband out there every night picking weeds in his suit?"  Yes, it is.  It's how he decompresses after a day in an airconditioned, carpeted, industrialized, sanitized office.  I say more power to him - but you won't ever catch me putting that much effort into as dull a plant as grass!  

I don't understand him, but I'm ok with the product.  Tell your neighbor that it's ok if he doesn't understand - he is still welcome to look if he enjoys and turn his head if he doesn't!

Offline Loony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 05:44:30 PM »
I have a sister who has made many snide remarks over the years about the time I "waste" on my yard. I finally decided that she will never understand and I really don't care what she thinks. I'm happiest when I play in the dirt and a happy Mom has happy kids.  :P

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 06:03:55 PM »
You bet Loony!!! And it's free therapy.  ;D
We have great neighbors. They were excitedly checking the progress of the pond each night when we were building it. She says she has the best view of it, which is actually true. I glanced at it when standing at the edge of her yard once. Their lot is a bit higher than ours and with their small retaining wall close to our fence you can stand on that wall and see our entire pond and back yard. What a deal for her, she gets a gorgeous view and none of the work. :)
Cath
zone 5b

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 08:10:51 PM »
Loony, That's funny, cuz the neighbor closest to me always comments on what a green thumb I have, and how everything looks so nice. The simple fact is that I don't have a green speck on my body, much less thumb. Whatever grows grows, and whatever doesn't grow dies. Yet, my sister never has anything nice to say about all the work that goes into it. She can only say how nice her own yard looks, with virtually no time invested.
She does have pretty grass, though.  :P
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 09:29:29 PM »
Many years ago, when I was looking for a piece of land in the country, I had a realter tell me that I didn't have to own the land to enjoy it. ( the view )
I've always remembered that. In other words, the neighbor can enjoy the view of her yard without the work.
LOL  Just last week my neighbor across the street said how much she enjoyed opening up her living room curtains every morning to see the flowers in my garden across the street.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 06:16:05 PM »
I'm not the only one that enjoys the gardens, my kids love it too.  They plant things that they like and get to watch them grow and that really excites them.  I let them pick out flowers and plant them too.  They were soo happy yesterday when they got to pick and eat one of their watermelons and some of their corn.  We do plant some things we can eat  lol.  It makes me feel good to because I feel that I am teaching them a valuable lesson about nature and their world.  My mother thinks it is great that I let them take part in things like that and I let them be creative.  They have a little play house in my garden and I let them pick out what flowers they want and plant them around it.  We have lots of pine trees planted around our property so when they get bigger he won't have to worry himself about what I'm doing in my non edible garden  :P
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 07:36:35 PM »
As a rule, people are not all alike. Some like to play golf for hours and I have not figured that one out.  Some will sit in front of a TV for hours watching soaps, war stories, sports or  horror shows. I can't agree with that one either. Some just love to work on or talk about old cars (my DH, kids, and BIL). Beats me!!! My DH can't figure out what on earth I am doing on this computer so much. He doesn't even know how to turn it on.  He also doesn't understand why I take so long when I grocery shop.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that we all seem to have interests that differ from the next guy. What a boring world this would be if we were all carbon copies of each other. Maybe I can't appreciate the end result of someone's interest but I certainly will try to give them credit for the effort that it takes.

Maybe those who are giving the snide remarks are really somewhat jealous of our accomplishments and are trying to knock us down because of it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"