Author Topic: Major blizzard  (Read 2448 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Major blizzard
« on: March 01, 2007, 07:47:45 AM »
Yikes!!! Bad day here. We're under a blizzard warning. Schools are closed, public transportation is closed down, malls are closed, many streets are closed (including the interstate in many spots). I can't even see the house right across the street from us.
My husband called after getting to work. He has a 4 wheel drive and only has to drive about 4 miles but said he should have stayed home. It took him 3 times as long as usual to get there. He was laughing though. He said his dash lights blew when he was about 2 blocks from home, he could only drive about 10MPH because he could only see about 20' ahead of him and his driver's side windshield wiper blade blew off when he was half way to work. How funny!!!  lol lol
I'm so glad I'm a stay-at-home mom!!!  :)
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Major blizzard
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 07:49:14 AM »
Hang in there! O0
And keep us updated...take pix if possible!

We are finally warming up here! @O@
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 08:14:23 AM »
The interstate is now closed from Omaha to 195 miles west, the plows just can't keep up. Some spots in Omaha have already received 10" of snow.
zone 5b

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 08:22:34 AM »
Good Grief! I'm not going to whine about below freezing temps at night anymore. Stay safe and warm!

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 08:26:41 AM »
We had snow here yesterday but it wasn't bad. We only got about 2 inches but the nearby mountains got heavy snow.
Be careful, stay inside!
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 08:30:39 AM »
Hi Cath,
That thing is aimed at me. Should be here tomorrow, but they say the heaviest snow will be to my north.
Stay cozy and warm and enjoy it through the window.
I love blizzards o(:-) But it's a rarity to actually get one anymore.
How about a good blizzard pic?
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 08:46:42 AM »
I will get some pics. I don't mind bad weather since I don't have to go anywhere. But I do feel sorry for those who have to go out and end up stuck or wrecking their cars.
We have a huge white pine that I posted about during our last snow. It's 50 years old, 60' tall and we lost several big limbs a week or so ago in a snow storm. When my husband gets home tonight he won't be able to get in the driveway because the limbs are so weighted down it's blocking the drive. Fortunately the neighhbors across the street have an extra drive that goes to their backyard so they're letting him park in there.
The N/S interstate (29) is now closed from the Missouri state line to the S. Dakota state line. And it's still coming down.
I learned to be a food storer from my mom (thanks mom!!) :) so we have no need for a store run. We could live for weeks with what we have on hand. So once DH gets home, believe me, this family is going no where!!!!
Cath
zone 5b

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 09:14:32 AM »
Did any of you see the pile up on I-90? like 90 cars going over Snaqualimy pass. My son had just gone over and we were talking on the phone. I'm so glad he made it to the west side before it happned. Sorry Cath, One time there was enough for me. Winter 04--05. Yikes!  Tooooooo Cold!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 09:17:48 AM »
Oh, wow.  Sure hope it doesn't keep you all in to long.  But I'm like you, keep the shelves and fridge stocked.  I swear my mother could live for 3 months or better.  I keep mine stocked, but her's just blows me away.

You all becareful, stay warm.  Think warm thoughts and maybe it will all go away soon.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 09:42:02 AM »
Cath,
I have a big pine like that too. When the branches are loaded down and ready to break, (actually before) I go out and bump them with my shovel and knock some of the snow off. I hate it when they break.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 09:53:14 AM »
Now's when those trips to Costco or Sam's Club come in handy :D
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 10:00:12 AM »
Steve,
  We have done that in the past but the ones that broke did so during the night and the ones that are weighted now are too heavy with snow to get it all off. One was blocking the street so my 18 year old son and I drug it up on the curb. That was a chore!!! And he works out a lot. I wouldn't want to guess how much it weighs. The other one is only blocking a small part of the street so it's staying there until the city decides to move it. I'm really thinking we may have to take the tree down this time. I hate to but it's looking pretty sad.  :'(
Cath
There's a basement window well right above our computer desk. There's a little mouse in the well trying its best to get inside. My cats are going nuts trying to get to it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 10:21:19 AM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 11:21:19 AM »
Sure sounds like a mess Cath.

Hopefully no electric lines go down and you will not go without power..

Two weeks ago was our last snowstorm and we got major ice along with it which was worse than lots of snow.
We lost our power two different times, 1st time was 30+ hrs.  2nd time was only around 16.
Luckily DH has two generators for work and we put one to use!

I ALWAYS have plenty of groceries too...
Got a freezer full of food and a food pantry for canned goods, etc.
I always buy on sale and stock up.....
(got that from my Mom too, we always had extra canned goods in the basement when I was growing up)

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 01:28:03 PM »
Hope everyone comes through it okay. We've had the hardest t'storm here today we've had in a long time but this don't compare to heavy snow.  {nono}

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 03:36:17 PM »
Wow, sounds like you guys are really in for it.  Hope your DH got home safely.  We had a blizzard a couple of weeks ago, and the snow is still around here trying to melt.  It has rained hard all day today and there is flooding, ice and snow everywhere.  I do love a good blizzard tho' (like Steve) and always have my cupboards stocked.  THAT came from when I was a young newlywed and we had a blizzard and my cupboards were NOT stocked full.  Now I'm a hoarder   lol   

Let me see if I have any pics from the blizzard a few weeks ago.....these were taken out the windows so probably aren't the greatest.  That's DH in the John Deere with the snow blower trying to keep the neighbors driveway open--they have elderly parents that they care for.

STAY WARM!!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 04:16:50 PM »
Hey Kittyzee,
Now that is a snowblower O0 O0 O0

I've seen them mounted on tractors and they blow snow!
It's been raining here today too.

Nice,

Steve

GAJen

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 04:34:04 PM »
If it snowed like that in Waycross, GA half of our population would be dead ...... they can't drive in it. It snowed enough to accumulate in 1989 and there were wrecks every where.

Offline froggerLee

• Members
  • With us since: 24/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 06:03:46 PM »
We very seldom get any snow. A nice storm would be nice, as long as it melted in a few days, but a blizzard, yikes!
Lee

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 06:42:10 PM »
Yes Steve, that is REALLY a snowblower!! He actually LOVES getting that thing out  ::)  and I grit my teeth when he comes down our driveway, if he's not careful and doesn't aim that thing the right way, he'd break every window in my house!  It picks up the gravel in the driveway and blows it too.  It takes about a month of mowing to finally get the yard back into shape after a hard winter -- AKA -- DH with snowblower!  lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 07:47:32 PM »
I posted pics under the Pond Chat section. It's actually worse than it looks in the pics. The back yard is on the north side of our houseand got strong north winds so much of the snow drifted, some places it doesn't look as deep as it really is in person.
Cath
zone 5b

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"