Author Topic: charities  (Read 1785 times)

Offline stacig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
charities
« on: March 19, 2007, 04:47:17 PM »
we have alot of nice costume jewelry .rather then give it to the good will i was wondering if there was another charity we could send it to that might have a better use for it.

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: charities
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 05:11:48 PM »
Have you thought about donating it to a retirement community or nursing home or senior center? They would love to have something like that for bingo prizes, etc.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 05:18:20 PM »
Or maybe a community theatre group or school drama department or costume store?

Or a preschool - lots of them have "santa shops" where the kids can buy gifts for their parents at yard sale prices and the money benefits the school. Or if some of the jewelry is large enough to not get swallowed, the preschool teachers could add it to their dressup supplies.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 05:23:08 PM »
I have a friend who runs a place for mentally & phyically challanged adults, I took alot of the stuff & avon out the them for the holidays last x-mas. She told me they just loved all of it and there have been so many cutbacks in donations from the bigger places they were going to get hardly nothing.

GAJen

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 06:33:39 PM »
Ditto here on nursing homes and/or retirement centers.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
They could maybe use it in their crafts too by taking stuff apart and restringing etc.

Offline Shawn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 04:57:02 AM »
My wife has a nice pretty picture made out of costume jewelry.. An elderly woman and her friends had a "tree making party" where they make the outline of a tree with a really long necklace, and then it is filled in with all the other jewelry.. Turns out really pretty and hangs on our wall as a memory of this lovely lady.. Most of the "costume" jewelry is really old, so it has become an heirloom for us per se. 8) :)
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
~ Mark Twain

Russell, Kentucky  Zone 5

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 05:57:53 AM »
What a wonderful way to remember her.  O0

Offline stacig

• Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 07:43:52 AM »
all good sugesstions keep them coming

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 08:44:26 AM »
I'm a bit predgidus, but I raise money for COTA. Childerens Organ Transplant Ass. Because of my granddougther. This is a non profet Org. And they help registerd parents and friends raise money to help with the costs of transplants. You can go to cota.org for info..  Say can we do an auction in here? You post the pieces and we all bid? I think it would be fun!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 10:00:37 AM »
I have a Christmas tree made on forest green velvet that my stepmother put together with old costume jewelry. Some from my grandmother, some from my mother, some from my aunt and some from garage sales to fill in.

I LOVE it.

I put it on the mantle every Christmas.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 02:10:44 PM »
LeeAnne, I found 2 trees made on black velvet and framed. They are all old costume jewlrey and beautiful when the tiny lights are on. Someone took a lot of time to make them and I can't emagin someone just putting grama's things like that in a yard sale.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Years ago my grandmother collected some of our costume jewelry that we never wore.  There were even long hatpins with pearl tops that some of her friends gave her! She had bought styrofoam balls and made dozens of Christmas ornaments that we now hang on our trees.  Satin ribbons were attached to the top with some kind of straight pin.  Everytime I get them out at Christmas, I think of her.  o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"