Author Topic: New guest in pond  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Celia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New guest in pond
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:37:54 PM »
We have a new little red ear slider about the size of a 50 cent piece living in our pond now.  He is doing great so far, he has a fin from a decorator Koi that fell over and fin sticking out of water to climb up and bask on.  I have to leave that Koi spitter under water now with only his fin sticking out.    When we feed the fish, he comes swimming right over and gets his dinner. So Cute.  Now, what do I or the turtle have to do by winter, we are in Missouri and get cold and Ice.  He can't stay on pond.  Pond is pretty big and I am pretty old and not able to get in it LOL. 
Does any one have any ideas.?  I don't know how he got in it, but don't think he can climb out, too steep on sides.

Celia
Celia

Offline dperry

• Members
  • With us since: 18/10/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Don's Pond
Re: New guest in pond
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 07:37:12 PM »
The range of the red-eared slider includes Missouri.  Do you have water, such as a river, lake or large natural pond somewhat nearby?  Females can travel overland for quite some distance to dig a nest and lay eggs.  Your baby probably emerged from such a nest.  If your pond is deep enough, it has a good chance of overwintering right in the pond.  You can also keep it indoors for the winter.  Just provide it with a filtered aquarium, a place to get completely out of the water, a heat lamp and a UVB lamp to bask under.  I currently have 16 baby painted turtles in an aquarium.  I keep them inside until they are about 2 years old and large enough to avoid being eaten by predators before I either put them in my pond or turn them loose in the local river.
Don Perry  http://youtube.com/dperry428
Retired science teacher
BS, MS, Biological Science, NIU
Northern Illinois
Zone 5a

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 07:39:23 PM »
DP I made a post saying you would chime in. Lol
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Celia

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 09:14:40 PM »
Thanks dperry and Jerry, yes I do have rivers near, also a big pond real close, next door property to mine.  I figured he came from that one.  Now, one more real dumb question, how do they winter over in the pond, no mud bottom and it freeze's over.  It is deep enough about 3 foot at one end.  Thanks so much for your reply.

Celia
Celia

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 10:56:46 PM »
I am told they BRUMATE, not hibranate, they survive in the wild so it works. id still take the baby in for the winter.
My post vanished, i collided with DPs
I suggested an aquarium and a lamp light for warmth and basking, A good haul out rosk too.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline dperry

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Don's Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 04:52:06 AM »
That's right, Jerry, they brumate.  Mammals hibernate.  Some estivate (summer).  Brumating turtles have been known to slow their heartrates to one beat every ten minutes.  The survive underwater for months by slowly pumping water into and out of their pharynx (throat) and cloaca (urogenital opening), which are lined with blood vessels and extract oxygen from the water much as a fish does with gills.  They can even go completely anaerobic and buffer the accumulating lactic acid with calcium from their shells.  They are truly remarkable critters.

My painted turtles go to the bottom of the pond and just become inactive, hiding under leaves and algae or between lily pots.  I also put a u-shaped structure on the bottom that creates a low "cave" for them to crawl into.  I've seen them become active in the winter and crawl along the bottom under the ice.  The really impressive thing I've seen is turtles basking in the sun in January when we've had an occasional warm day.  I've still not figured out how they know it's warm enough to come to the surface on a warm day.  There are sunny days when it is cold, but they don't come out.  With the temperature at the bottom of the pond relatively constant at 39 degrees, how do they know when it's warm enough to bask?  They are amazing.

If you want to try to overwinter the turtle in your pond, make sure to keep a hole open to allow noxious gases to escape just as you would for your fish.  In the wild, most turtles bury themselves in the mud at the bottom of the pond or at the edge.  Painted turtles are much more resistant to the cold than are the red-ears.  Obviously, painteds survive in northern Wisconsin and Minnesota.  Winter is hazardous, though, to all of them. They must go into the winter in excellent condition or they will perish.  I've lost turtles from time to time.  The worst times for them are when there is an early warm period and they come out of their inactive state and then it gets very cold again.  That seems to really stress them.   You might try a container of sand for it to burrow into for the winter, but my experience with red-ears is they don't do well overwintering in a pond environment.  I'd take it in for the winter or release it in its natural environment.  People give me their unwanted red-ears from time to time.  I have six right now that are going to Tennessee when I go to my brother's place next month. They'll make a good addition to his pond.
Retired science teacher
Northern Illinois
Zone 5a

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 01:32:25 PM »
Excellent info!

an old photo, I had water plants then!! >:(- >:(- >:(- >:(-
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Celia

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »
excellent info for sure, thank you so much for all that  information.  I had never even heard of bromating.  I feel very lucky to get such an expert on turtles, but here you were.  I am going to try to get him out of the pond for winter, but in case we can't catch him, we will give him the natural way and hope for the best.  Meanwhile, I have all summer to enjoy him, then worry all winter. 
dperry, and Jerry, thank you so much
Celia
Celia

Offline dperry

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Don's Pond
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 08:24:37 PM »
Nice picture, Jerry.  Female on the left, male on the right.
Retired science teacher
Northern Illinois
Zone 5a

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 10:55:01 PM »
me in school. I won the photo by winning a contest. I had my turtles turn over! How funny, surely the treachers knew all turtles would flip over.  The compitition must have been really awful
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:58:12 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"