Author Topic: That's a lot of snow . . .  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
That's a lot of snow . . .
« on: January 24, 2016, 09:58:06 AM »
We broke the all-time snowfall record with winter storm Jonas:  30.2" here in Harrisburg PA (south central PA).

Spent an 1 1/2 snow-blowing twice yesterday during the storm.  Shoveled out our car on the street this morning for three hours.  Had to shovel a path to my pond to plug in the de-icer - didn't get that done before the storm (in the hospital getting a kidney stone broken up with that shock wave lithotripsy).

Snow too deep for my grandson to sled, too dry to make snowballs or a snowman.  Oh well . . .
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: That's a lot of snow . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »
That was a lot of snow. We had a lot for us, but no records. We had 10". We just were able to get out today for the first time since last Thursday. Hope everything is okay that was in storms way.

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 07:16:40 PM »
Most of the school districts will be closed again tomorrow.  Many of the residential streets/developments are still not cleared.  No where to plow - have to bring in front end loaders and dump trucks to haul it away.

I barely can move from shoveling - I hate winter . . .
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 07:36:04 AM »
Our snow has been pretty much gone since the 28th, but there is still snow in shaded areas. I can't imagine how long it would take to get rid of 30".  What is it like there now?

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 09:19:26 AM »
Updated amount was an even 36".   It's been in upper 30's each day since the winter storm Jonas moved off.    About 1/3 of the snow melted, but the cities and towns are spending big bucks using front end loaders and dump trucks to haul the snow away from the sides of the streets.
Reedman

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 05:34:18 AM »
We have had very little snow this winter.  I loved the big snowstorms we had when I was young.  I like to take a walk through our woods and track animals. I sure wouldn't get very far in three feet of snow! Stay safe.

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:58:04 AM »
About a foot of snow left on the ground.

Yesterday I shoveled snow to build a sledding run in our backyard (yard has a gentle slope away from the house) for my 4-year-old grandson.  About a 30' run, 2' high hill to start complete with steps!  His first time sledding - priceless.
Reedman

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"