Author Topic: Nailclippers for lotus seed scarification  (Read 474 times)

Offline Yellow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/12/2016
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Nailclippers for lotus seed scarification
« on: December 02, 2016, 11:48:26 PM »
I've found that a nailclipper (compound lever type) of a size where the cutting surface is about the width of a thumbnail and has sharp corners, and is reasonably sharpened, can be used reasonably consistently to clip away at the seedcoat of lotus seeds by starting with the corner in the "dimple" end of the seed, allowing you to get to the cotyledon in about five or so clips (about 5 seconds). If you angle it right it's fairly safe (to both the cotyledon and your fingers). Of course, if the seeds are valuable then filing with a rasp or diamond file is a safer option, but the difference between clipping for a few seconds and filing/sanding for a minute or so does add up.

Here's the nail clipper I use, shown next to some clipped seeds and mug for scale:

P.S. not sure if this should be posted in another topic or not? Other plant/fish forums usually have a "propagation" or "breeding" section where I'd usually post this.

- Andi
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Current status message: Anyone have spare dwarf lotus seeds? I'd be keen for them.

Wise quote of the month: "Be it a black cat or white cat, it's the fact that it catches mice that makes it a good cat."

Offline Bob_A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Nailclippers for lotus seed scarification
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
I use a belt sander.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"