Author Topic: Brown algae cleared my water?  (Read 466 times)

Offline reptilegrrl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Brown algae cleared my water?
« on: July 04, 2016, 08:27:46 PM »
I moved a little more than 2 years ago, and took my pond with me. Same filter I've had for years. But I've had greenish water ever since, even adding PondZyme bacteria twice a week.

Last week the GFCI on the pond tripped and I didn't find out for a few days. my mini-skippy drained of water, so all the microbes in it died, and so did the plants in it. When I turned the pump back on, the skippy stank. I planned to wash the media (water only) but was super-busy so I didn't get around to it.

Less than a week later, I step outside and the pond is completely clear. The filter has a very dark, brown algae growing in it. The algae is producing oxygen like gangbusters- covered in air bubbles. In the pond, it forms small floating clumps, they clump together in groups and are easy to scoop out.

I've always heard that brown algae is bad, but this stuff is impressive and does not seem to be hurting the fish or my turtle. Thoughts?
My pond is a turtle pond!

2006: ~135 gallons of water in a 150 gallon stock tank.
2012: ~250 gallons in a 330 gallon stock tank
2013: ~40 gallon in-ground wading pool for my box turtle

One RES, and a passel of gambusias.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"