Author Topic: Submersible Water Pumps Question?  (Read 793 times)

Offline parvenza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/05/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Submersible Water Pumps Question?
« on: November 05, 2016, 02:04:04 PM »
I have a 40+ Gallon outdoor pond with one 6 year old feeder fish that is still hanging in there. I have two pumps in pond but one stopped working and the other barely creates bubbles. I am looking for a pump that I can create oxygen and make bubbles but can't remember the size of either one of the ones I have.
Could someone let me know how many GPH pump would be adequate for that much water to create bubbles but not blow my fish out of the water.

Got conflicting answers when I asked on Amazon about pump sizes so I am pretty confused.

Thanks

Offline dperry

• Members
  • With us since: 18/10/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Don's Pond
Re: Submersible Water Pumps Question?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 03:12:38 PM »
For that small an amount of water, look for a "fountain pump".  As a general rule, sizing a pump for a pond, it is suggested the pump circulate the volume of the pond each hour.  When you say, "barely creates bubbles", are you talking about an airstone and aquarium type air pump?  If so, many times the air pump may be working, but the stone has become clogged.  Try lightly scraping the stone with a sharp edge (like a knife) to remove clogging material or just replace the aeration stone with a new one.
Don Perry  http://youtube.com/dperry428
Retired science teacher
BS, MS, Biological Science, NIU
Northern Illinois
Zone 5a

Offline parvenza

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 03:26:06 PM »
Hi Don
No, it is a pond pump that I have tubing attached to. I shouldn't say it barely works, it does but compared to a Sunterra pump that isn't working and replacing, it creates bubbles but lightly if that makes sense. I am not sure how much bubbles my fish needs so I always had two pumps going. I don't have a filtration system just the two pumps.

I have a tubing attached and it comes out of the water a little to create the bubbles. The Sunterra was actually too much water pressure but I had purchased it and used tubing on that too. However I had to keep it wired in a certain position because it was to much and didn't want it to suddenly move and empty the water out.

So with 40 gallons of water I should find a pump that has a 40 GPH power.  I found one that is 80 GPH for a low price and was wondering if that would be enough. I don't want something to shoot out too much water but enough to create enough bubbles so my fish is fine.
Don't know how much force of bubbles my fish needs to have oxygen??? So there is my dilemma I guess.

Offline dperry

• Members
  • With us since: 18/10/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Don's Pond
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 07:47:02 PM »
With 40 gallons and 1 fish, you really don't even need to aerate it as the surface area is more than sufficient.  If you still want to circulate and aerate, one pump is more than enough.  With your concern for too much water movement,  I'd opt for something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Submersible-Aquarium-Fountain-Hydroponics/dp/B00EWENKXO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1478399921&sr=8-3&keywords=fountain+pump

It has a simple adjustment that allows you to control the flow to exactly what you want.  OR

One like this that includes fountain nozzles to aerate and light up.  Plus, it only uses 13 watts.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IYEJ1B2?psc=1
Don Perry  http://youtube.com/dperry428
Retired science teacher
BS, MS, Biological Science, NIU
Northern Illinois
Zone 5a

Offline parvenza

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 07:58:25 PM »
Oh thank you so much. The VicTsing 80 GPH is the one I have in my Amazon list and was thinking about getting.
I appreciate you taking the time to let me know.
This is the one I will get.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 09:11:33 PM »
It is possible for the tubing to get stopped up.  I have one that does.

Offline parvenza

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 07:49:59 AM »
No I checked all that. The Sunterra pump will start working if I bang it on a rock and will work until I lower it in the water and it stops. That is the one that has a lot of force but I need to just replace it.

The other one isn't as powerful and it does aerate creating a small area of bubbling. I checked all the obvious things like tubing and getting clogged. But I only put this one in because the other Sunterra pump did the same thing. Wouldn't work anymore unless you whacked it and then only for a little while.

I like to have two just in case one stops working at least I have something. But I am just going to purchase the  The VicTsing 80 GPH pump that was suggested. I think that should be enough.

Offline parvenza

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 12:34:16 PM »
Yeah the The VicTsing 80 GPH was barely enough to push out some bubbles. Will try something else. :-\

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"