Author Topic: Weird Fish Problem....  (Read 1072 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Weird Fish Problem....
« on: July 15, 2007, 05:24:07 PM »
My neighbor said to ask if anyone knows what's up with 1 of her fish. It's a Koi. She said it has looked like this since last summer. It's belly is HUGE!!! Protruding out pretty far on each side. It still eats great and swims around. Doesn't seem to have anything that's really bothering it. But neighbor wonders what the cause is. Any ideas? Should she dispose of it or just let it be? None of the other fish seem to have the same problem.
Thanks guys!!
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Fish Problem....
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 05:36:32 PM »
Tropical fish (and probably ALL fish) can get something called dropsy, which is where the intestinal tract clogs up and the fish can't eliminate.  Effectively, it gets stopped up with fecal matter, swells up, gets toxic, and dies.  It's a horrible way to go.  Good reason to feed your fish some fiber, to keep 'em regular.  (I give my bettas minced corn germ or beans, and the pond fish fresh corn.)

But since your friend's fish is eating and eliminating, the problem sounds more like a tumor to me.  Like a non-malignant tumor that keeps growing, but hasn't invaded any other organs.

Can you get a picture?

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 05:44:55 PM »
Not dropsy. We had a fish with that and this one is not the same. It's very active and eats fine. She said she hates to dispose of it if it's not anything the other fish can acquire from this one (none have and this one has been like this since last summer so probably won't).
zone 5b

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 06:04:01 PM »
I had a goldie that looked like that for a very long time, I know all last summer and most of this one.  After I put in new Wakin's they tried to spawn with her.  Looked like she swallowed a golf ball.  I ended o finally loosing her.  But like you said, she ate, swam fine...seemed perfectly normal.  It wasn't dropsy either.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline koiedge

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 08:50:23 PM »
If it is a koi, they have the tendency to get REALLY full of eggs in the spring. If she does not spawn, she will start to reabsorb the eggs mid summer. So, she will be ok. Just let her go about her business.  ::)

More chances of a tumor if the fish is "uneven" on the sides.

Jeff

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 09:06:52 PM »
But Jeff, she's been like this since last summer. She is even on the sides but being this way for over a year is wierd.
zone 5b

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 05:34:57 AM »
I don't know about fish, but I know it's possible for turtles to get "egg bound," meaning they have eggs inside them but, for some reason, cannot lay them.  Usually, they reabsorb the eggs.  But... if they are unable to absorb the eggs, perhaps the eggs stay inside and take up room and displace organs, and swell the body, etc.  Maybe that's it??

Offline koiedge

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 07:50:38 AM »
I have two very large koi that are very fat all year round. One is younger 16 inches and one is about 26 inches. The larger one will not spawn. Even after repeated attempts. So, as long as there is no other behavior issues - or signs of stress. The koi may just like being a big beautiful koi!  {:-P;;

Jeff

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"