Author Topic: My Pets and Pond :0)  (Read 2083 times)

Offline CMM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/04/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My Pets and Pond :0)
« on: June 27, 2013, 06:03:24 AM »
Been ponding for 25 years. My grandmother had a rectangular above ground pond with plants and goldfish over 50 years ago (I remember being scolded for playing in it :0)

My alligator 'fountain' was a local find at a 'sale' and is one of my favorite pond features. We have 8 Koi - one is a hatchling that survived our filter system and is now 5 years old nearly a foot long. We got two new 'butterfly Koi' last summer - they were about 2'' long and are already nearly 6''. Sadly, the third one became snake food.

I have enjoyed looking at all the pond photos and getting 'ideas' - so much love and imagination has gone into all these ponds.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My Pets and Pond :0)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:57:51 AM »
I love the alligator also.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 12:52:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum.   :welcome: 
I enjoyed your pictures.  I had a snake this summer. When we finally caught him, he was lumpy from dining on my fish. :'(

Offline CMM

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 03:01:05 PM »
Yes, the garter snake was about 3' long and I did not realize they can and WILL eat small fish. Expensive dinner.  :(

I will never buy fish that small again to introduce into the pond. Sadly, our one and only surviving hatchling from the previous season probably ended up the same way - dinner for that snake.  :'(

Thanks for the compliments and the welcome.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 04:59:02 PM »
That's one beautifully clean pond...Plantings around it are nice too.  First cool alligator fountain I've seen.

Offline CMM

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 06:29:19 AM »

We had quite the algae bloom this Spring - even clogged the pipes from pond to filter and they are 4'' pvc. The poor alligator couldn't spit! waterfall nearly stopped. Worse mess we have seen in a few years. But, all is well again now. As quickly as it went 'green' - it cleared up again. I do add bacteria to my filter each Spring and add bacteria to the water every few weeks - one kind for warm season and another one for colder weather.

We have a 70 gallon home made bio filter that hides behind our lilac bush and it does a great job.  We built it about 5 years go and have only cleaned it out a couple times. Basically - shaking the goop off the media and putting it back in and removing a bit of the gunk from the bottom. It works best when we ignore it.

Here's the link if anyone is interested. http://www.skippysstuff.com/index.html  It was the BEST thing we ever did for our pond and ourselves. 

Funny thing - our first pond had no filter, no pump - just plants and fish and was perfectly clear as well. Guess we hit a good balance there too. It did go green in Spring for a couple weeks but always cleared up by itself and stayed clear. We always toss a couple of water lettuces in each Spring and sometimes water hyacinth - they help shade the pond and keep it clear. One year they did so well that I sold them - sold enough to cover the cost of all my Spring yard planting that year :0) I would just meet folks at the parking lot of a warehouse store after work a couple times a week. Advertised on C's list online for free. Retired now so I just put extras into the compost pile.  :)

Offline limonium17

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2017
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 07:55:07 PM »
What a beautiful pond.

Offline veldrite

• Members
  • With us since: 07/11/2019
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 01:51:09 AM »
Nice pond! Looks very relaxing!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"